Saturday, May 05, 2007

One Week To Go!

Today I ran 4.5 miles. I took me 45:48. I burned 733.2 calories. I did it in two parts. The first part was a training run for next week's 5K race. I ran that 3.1 miles in 29:57.


One Week To Go!
I have a friend to run with next week. I have a friend that is going to come and take pictures.

We're going to go and look at the course this weekend. I have a map and we will probably walk it.

Anticipation is a wonderful, and a dreadful, thing! I am looking forward to this race. I talked of a chrysalis opening in yesterday's blog. I used it as a simile to explain what a difference a positive lifestyle change can make in a person's life.

The chrysalis is a sheltered state or stage of being or growth. Specifically it refers to a pupae of a butterfly or a moth when they transform from a worm like state to become a beautiful winged adult. I beleive that it also applies to any of us that can make a positive change in their lives.

I had read that you are not a runner until you participate in an organized race. I am seeing that now, even though I did not see it that way before.

In that manner, I view the upcoming race, and my participation, as a new chrysalis that is about to open.

This butterfly wants to get out and fly! 8 days and counting...

5 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

I agree; you must race - at least once - to be a runner. Something about racing makes us "live and breathe" running, which is what I think defines a runner. For example, a friend recently trained rather quickly for, and ran, a half marathon. I do not consider her to be a runner! Why? Because she does not live and breathe it like I (and you) do. Seriously... it is not the same to just plain run. Runners are goal-oriendted people - and races are my goal!!!

Good luck next weekend! I will absolutely be rooting you on from the South!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Irish Blue said...

I didn't think racing mattered in the beginning either, but I do now. To be around all of those runners is so inspiring. The experience of lining up, having the gun go off, pushing yourself through the run, and finally coming across that finish line...it's what memories are made of, it's the best.

Good luck with your first race!!

6:42 AM  
Blogger akshaye said...

A race always gives you a sense of purpose to your training... just like any other "goal". Great blog and some amazing pictures of your running locations! Look forward to seeing more of them.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Maddy said...

Good Luck on your very first race! It is very exciting! And you are beyond prepared.

We will be be cheering you on!

5:16 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

Charles, the race is really a big part of the community. It is amazing how people will come out just to cheer you on as you run. It is such a connection. Good luck next weekend, you will do great.

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home