Thursday, May 03, 2007

Feet, Corns and New Shoes!

Ok, I ran a first 5K trial this morning. I ran 6.5 miles, but I ran it in 2 shifts. I ran the 5K trial in 29:31:27. These are lap times -
Lap 1 - 1 mile - 9:10
Lap 2 - 1 mile - 9:50
Lap 3 - 1 mile - 9:31
Lap 4 - .11 mile - 1:00
Then I ran the rest of a 10K. The final lap times were -
Lap 5 - 1 mile - 11:05
Lap 6 - 1 mile - 10:29
Lap 7 - 1 mile - 10:59
Lap 8 - .41 mile - 4:26
Total for today's run is 1:06:29 - Phew!

Feet, Corns and New Shoes
I had a corn on my left foot. It was at the side of the large toe. A corn or callus are areas of thickened skin that occur in areas of pressure. Corns appear as a horny thickening of the skin on the toes. This thickening appears as a cone shaped mass pointing down into the skin. Hard corns are usually located on the outer surface of the little toe or on the upper surface of the other toes, but can occur between the toes. It was definitely a hard corn that I developed.

It was not extremely painful but I did know that it was there. It developed slowly. It was most comfortable in my trail shoes and office shoes and much less comfortable in any other shoe. I never did need to treat it using a corn plaster (or whatever they are called).

What I found amazing was that it changed when I put socks on to wear the new trail shoes around the house. As I put the sock on my left foot, the hard center fell off into the sock. Releif was immediate and satisfying. I wore the new shoes and it was great!

Since then I have continued the soaking and using a pumice stone on it. It is now all but gone.

New shoes and no corn? How do things like that happen? Interesting. Good omen?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home