Sunday, April 29, 2007

First impressions

Yesterday I ran 3 miles on the street and 2.88 miles of trails.

First impressions -
This is an amazing tool. Without any difficulty, this unit found sattelites quickly and easily. I ran a street course on a street by my house that is close to 3 miles long. It recorded much more information than I knew. The software that comes with it is minimal but functional. I also signed up for the free service offered by MotionBased.com, but don't really like that either.

Cory gave me a clue to try the software, SportTracks.

This is an amazing piece of software. And it is free. I have no doubt that I will donate very soon to the author. This is GOOD software. I can use to train for running and also in my Jeeping sport. I tried several uses for both the forerunner and the software. I was pleased with all of my trials.

I even tried using the forerunner with mapping software both as a GPS antenna and as an interface for files (tracks, routes, waypoints). My mapping software did find the forerunner but was unable to download files (history). I used SportTracks as an interface and was able to transfer file that the mapping software could use. SportTracks can also let you see where you ran or recorded history on Google Earth.

I recorded two running workouts with it yesterday. I also recorded two Jeep runs with it. We decided to drive the Jeep to a trail in Buena Vista, Colorado. It did a great job recording all of the trials. After working with SprtTracks, I was able to see all of them on my mapping software.

Great GPS training unit. Great GPS tracking antenna/receiver. Great software!

Now to start training for my first 5K, 10K and half-marathon!

So far, I am a happy guy with this purchase.

3 Comments:

Blogger mrjwhit~ said...

You will become an Einstein using the Forerunner. I can't help but go running different trails/routes. I have the 305 and all I can say is Wow. It really is a great tool. Enjoy

4:33 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I'm so happy you love it! I couldn't live without my Garmin!

11:58 AM  
Blogger Cory said...

I a very glad you like the Garmin and found the software to be helpful. I am with Susan, I cannot live without my Garmin.

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home