Wednesday, April 11, 2007

"Eleven is Magic!"

Today's run was for 5.5 miles. It took me 61:38. Have I told you that I love running now?

"Eleven is Magic!" is another game that I mindplay while I run. When I get close to a change of pace, or a switchover to check for calories burnt, I try to look for that 11/100 of a mile just prior to the event, I tend to smile, give a double handed thumbs up, then point the forefingers to the front. Just a little anticipatory thing that I do.

About this time in my personal change of lifestyles, I discovered that I was losing between 2 to 2 1/2 pounds per week. I would weigh weekly. I was still recording what I ate and the calorie load. I was checking and recording my blood pressure twice a day. The 2005 holidays were over. I was getting ready for a Doctor's appointment in April of 2006.

It was a matter of keeping at it and proving to myself, my family, my friends and my Doctor that I could and would do it!

- - - - - - - - - -

Not all of life is running. I think that all of us realize that. Support groups and like-minded people can come from anywhere and often do.

An example of that is another of the podcasts that I listen to on a regular basis. It's called, "2 Guys, 1 Brain." These are two guys that work for a Sheriff's department in a jail. They engage in wonderful repartee. It makes you feel like you just came in to where they are having a conversation. They talk of life in general, family, poker, vacations and work at the jail.

I chanced on them while searching iTunes. Their website is located at - http://www.2guys1brain.com/ and you can listen to their podcasts on iTunes or at http://www.2guys1brain.com/audio.php. Many is the mile that I've run while listening to this 4 star podcast.

They run a forum associated with the podcast. It has provided a support group for me during this period changeover from unhealthy to healthy. I really appreciate the support that the group has given to me.

- - - - - - - - - -

I've mentioned that I am headed for Moab next week. Molly, my dog, is going with me. I have two names for the Jeep. The first is The Mighty YJ and the second is Molly's Dog House. Whenever I go on vacation, Molly goes with. I beleive that having a pet is an obligation. You have to commit to pets as best you can for the entire length of their lives.

I reserve hotel rooms that take pets, go camping or rent cabins that allow dogs. She is well-behaved on the trail and in the hotel so I have never hesitated to bring her along.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home