Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Games runners play...

Business first - I ran 7 miles today and burned 1149 calories. It took 70 minutes and 10 seconds.

Ever run on a treadmill?

I've talked about podcasts as one way to occupy the mind while satisfying the body with a run. What do you do if you don't have your MP3 player?

I was in the US Army when I was younger. In Basic Training, we called cadence while we ran. Why do you call cadence? Several reasons. One is to assist you in strengthening your ability to breathe. One is to establish a running rhythm. The last is to engage the mind. Did you need to know the words? No, the DI would call them out and the platoon would repeat. That simple. However, there was a lot of difference between the first week of cadence and the final week of cadence.

Don't get the wrong idea. Don't go for the visual of me running on the tread mill and shouting out cadence. Doesn't happen. I use it as an example only.

I tend to do number games. Treadmills have readouts on their panels. My treadmill is a NordicTrack C2200. It has readouts for mileage, total machine mileage, total personal mileage, calories, incline position, carbohydrates, total time, pace and pulse. At first, I tried to track everything.

Most of the time now, though, I track my mileage (mostly in reverse) and the calories. It is easy to engage the mind to track numbers. A typical tread mill run of mine goes something like this:
1. 1/2 mile at 5.00 MPH
2. 1/2 mile at 5.50 mph
3. Repeat 1 & 2 for 3 miles.
4. 2.0 miles @ 5.50 mph
5. 2/10th mile at 7.50 mph
6. 1/10 mile at 6 mph
7. 1/10 mile at 5 mph
8. 1/10 mile at 4.0 mph.
That is a typical 5 1/2 mile run.

I check for a calorie count at the first .85 miles. That should give me 150 calories. Then I check at 1.75, 2.65. 3.55, 4.45, and finally at 5.35 miles.

Imagine you were near my treadmill as I was running. All of a sudden, I call out, "30, 70, 20, 55." Then I am quiet again. What ever did that mean? 30/100th of a mile completed, 70/100 to complete the next mile, 20/100 to go to the next pace, 55/100 to the next calorie check.

The numbers game changes, but the variations are pretty much similar.

What do the rest of you do?

(Oh Yeah! Only 4 days and I head to Moab with the Jeep and the running gear for a week!)

3 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Impressive, impressive!

To get myself through the dreadmill, it's podcasts all the way. Out on the open road, though, it can be podcasts, FM, or sometimes nothing. Long runs, though, require something!

Have an excellent trip to Moab. I bet the photos will be excellent. But where on earth is Molly?

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do just the opposite. I run outside (I hate treadmills) and I try to avoid looking at my watch as long as possible. Most of my runs are between 2.5 and 3.5 miles, and I try not to check my total time until I'm at least 20 minutes out. As for distractions, I'm all about the podcasts.

7:16 PM  
Blogger mrjwhit~ said...

Cewtwo, that is quite impresisve. I pla various mind games while I run, too. But not nearly as fun. Most of the time though I am zoning out read to take it on back to the house.

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home