Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Getting down to it...

Now I was prepared for what MUST happen. From here on out, I was the one responsible for my health. I am a mature man at 52 years of age at the time that this was happening.

In addition to the diet and the exercise, I was also given 2 prescriptions. One is for Lisinopril to control my blood pressure. The other is for Lipitor to assist in controlling my cholesterol. I filled the prescriptions and made those a part of my regular regimen.

I work the swing shift and have for years. I love not getting up to an alarm clock. My mornings are free and are for me. It is a good thing. I was able to fit the exercise into my morning regimen rather easily. Please don't expect to call me or talk to me between 9:00 AM and 10:00 AM as I will not be available. That is my time devoted to exercise.

There were options available to me. The PA talked of running. Walking is better than nothing but the expectation was to run. I could swim. I could balance the exercise with strength training. Many options!

Somehow, for me, running clicked. I liked the freedom and the outdoor ability. I stuck with that. On inclement days, I would run on the old treadmill.

The treadmill that I had then was of age. I had bought it 15 or so years previously. Running on that was a challenge all of it's own. AND, how do you keep your mind engaged when the body is busy?

Podcasts was the answer. I have gone to Wikipedia for an explanation, "A podcast is a digital media file (or a series of such files) that is distributed over the Internet using syndication feeds, for playback on portable media players and personal computers.[1] Like 'radio', it can mean either the content itself or the method by which it is syndicated; the latter is also termed podcasting."

But how can a podcast help?

Lets look at that next time...

1 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Dunt-da-duh!!!! Here comes the "big finish!" Or shall we say "big beginning"!!!! I am now linking to your site. Get ready!

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home