Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Test Results

I went back to my new Doctor in a week. The news was not good. My natural waist line was 42" in girth. Cholesterol was at 275. Blood fat was high. I was definitely pre-diabetic.

I was diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome. The syndrome affects mostly older individuals. What is it though?

The metabolic syndrome is characterized by a group of metabolic risk factors in one person. They include:
· Abdominal obesity (excessive fat tissue in and around the abdomen)
· Atherogenic dyslipidemia (blood fat disorders — high triglycerides, low HDL cholesterol and high LDL cholesterol — that foster plaque buildups in artery walls)
· Elevated blood pressure
· Insulin resistance or glucose intolerance (the body can’t properly use insulin or blood sugar)
· Prothrombotic state (e.g., high fibrinogen or plasminogen activator inhibitor–1 in the blood)
· Proinflammatory state (e.g., elevated C-reactive protein in the blood)
I must admit that I was definitely affected by most of the items on the above list.

The Doctor looked at me after discussing the results and asked me if I was ready to commit to a healthier lifestyle. I told him that I was.

He told me that he was going to put me on a diet. I needed to improve my numbers. I would need to start an exercise regimen. It came down to this. An 1800 hundred calorie diet - Low in fat, low in carbohydrates, high in fiber and protein. Lots of salad and fresh vegetables. He suggested 2 books, "The South Beach Diet" and "The Glycemic Index."

He asked what I do currently for exercise. I knew that I went to work and sat in front of a computer all day long. I also watched TV in the evening. I told him that. He suggested walking, then go faster and jog. Work up to a run. The Doctor told me that I needed 1 hour of vigorous exercise each and every day.

We set an appointment to meet with the Physician's Assistant to aid in understanding the need for exercise and to understand the diet.

My evolution began that day...

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

I'm on the edge of my seat! Keep it up!

Thanks for the link. I look forward to when I can return the favor! :)

3:54 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

There does not seemt o be a way for me to comment on the latest post. And I want to hear about the test results!

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home