Wednesday, April 04, 2007

To occupy the mind...

I live in a suburb of Denver, Colorado. This life changing experience started in November of 2005. My time running outside did not last long. It gets cold outside here in Winter. I was forced to run inside.

Any of you that run know about treadmills. They are an excellent way to it done. They are also a very tedious way to get it done. Many refer to them as Dreadmills.

I did the running but it was difficult. At first, of course, my speed was not great but it took a long time running to fill an hour's time. You have to find something to occupy the mind while the body does the work.

I am a Safety Director where I work. I handle the Workers' Compensation files for my employer. Part of a manager's job is to control costs. I get invitations every year to investigate new WC clinics. Most have open houses with drawings for swag (giveaways). I attended one in which the giveaway was an Apple iPod Shuffle. In a week, I found out that I had won the iPod (but then I suspect that everyone who attended won an iPod). Neither here nor there, though. I had my hands on an iPod.

I need to mention that I am offered 'things' through my position in the company. I believe that everything I am offered is an attempt to sway my decision. I tell people offering me things that if I take it, it will be given to the owners of the company as they placed me in my position. What I get while on the job or representing the company is company property. It is not honorable to keep it.

This time I went to the owner and presented him with the iPod. He looked at it then looked at me. "Are you using your treadmill?" he asked me. I answered that I was. He said that he already had one and wanted me to keep the iPod. But only as long as I was keeping up the exercise. So for running outside or inside. I kept the iPod.

I downloaded Apple iTunes. I played around with a few podcasts. Everything from Astronomy (Astronomy a gogo) to Jailer stories (www.2guys1brain.com) to health and running.

I put some on the iPod. As I listened, the miles flew by under my feet. It was amazing. I might just be able to do this thing yet!

1 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Aah - the podcast world and all of the freinds you've made! I am loving your story!

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home