Friday, April 13, 2007

The Emperor's new clothes...

Today, I ran 5.5 miles. It took 60 minutes and burned approximately 910 calories. It was a good run, but difficult to complete. Mostly due to the anticipation of the vacation tomorrow.

The Emperor's New Clothes -
Think of how you start to run. Any clothes will do as the objective is to get out and run! But eventually, you have to get down to a comfort level.

I anticipated sweating. My very first piece of athletic wear was a heavy sweatshirt. I ripped the sleeves off (that macho image of a work out shirt). It worked but I found out very quickly that my neck must be mis-shaped! No matter what kind of shirt I may buy, it chafes against the front of my neck! That first shirt I ripped opened the neck at the front for comfort. I have also done that to most of the shirts I wear now. Sweatshirt material is not made for comfortable running. It is heavy and as it loads (sweat, remember?) it gets even heavier.

Isn't a nice comfortable pair of running shorts great? In ignorance, I started by using sweat pants or a pair of denim shorts. They are pants but they are definitely not made for running. The first time I went into an actual retail store that offered "Running" clothes was a revelation for me and a boon to the owner of the shop.

The person that assisted me at that shop explained a lot of a runners life and personal comfort to me. I got shirts, socks, shorts, etc. Somewhat spur of the moment, somewhat expensive, but I have never regretted it.

My most important first purchase? Running shoes! My friend and coach, Tom, told me that I had pronated feet. I looked at him like he was speaking a foreign language. He took the time to explain what that meant.

To explain it here, I have visited the University of Iowa site -
http://www.uihealthcare.com/topics/footcare/foot3353.html

The first two paragraphs state -
'To pronate is to turn or rotate the foot inward so that the inner edge of the sole bears the body's weight. The right way for the foot to land is to hit the ground heel first. Body weight is then passed along by the arch toward the outside of the foot and upward to the ball of the foot.

A pronated foot is one that rolls inward when walking or running and does not properly pass the weight over the foot. This creates a biomechanical problem that stresses the foot and lower leg. The knee and hip are affected as well because of the inward rotation of the leg.'

My question to him was, "How do you correct for that?" "Simple," he said, "You have to buy the correct shoes."

A little internet research showed me what he meant. I went out soon after and found some Mizuno shoes. I have never felt so good about running as I did after wearing those shoes for a week.

I run outside a lot in the back country. Although the shoes were very comfortable, I wanted something more. I went to The Runners Roost (a retail store for running shoes) and was professionally fitted for my first pair of TRAIL shoes. Now I am so satisfied with my shoes! Trail shoes are made to run off-road, off-track, back country. A firmer soul and heel with rigid side construction made them the most comfortable shoes I have ever had.

I do wear a headband and gloves when I run. The gloves will be covered in another blog very soon.

If you are new to running, take the time to get some comfortable clothes. Make sure that you pamper yourself (and guard your foot health) with a pair of running shoes made for your feet. I found it to be a wise purchase and one that every runner should make!

Next time? My hands get cold as I run...

1 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Amen! When I started out, it was cotton all the way. When I was just barely running (i.e. slow as molasses) I could get by with that. BUT NOT NOW! I swear - I have a small Nike boutique in my home now. The proper clothes are ultra-important in running. It's about how they feel and perform - and not about how they look or cost!!!

5:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home