Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Thoughts from a treadmill...

Today, I ran 7 miles. It took 78 minutes.

OK... I am ready to commit. I want to run a real 1/2 marathon.

I have no idea as to how to prepare for it. True, I run at least 5 miles most days. I ran 10 Sunday morning and could have completed the additional 3 something easily enough. But shouldn't some preparation be necessary?

I used to run with my friend, Tom. His knees bother him now so I can't run with him all of the time.

I ran a lot of long outside trails last week. Little effort and a lot of results.

Does antone know of any resources that could help me prepare?

Let me know...

4 Comments:

Blogger Cory said...

Charles, if you are regularly running 10 mile long runs you can finish a half. As for plans, I tried using the recommendations on the runner's world site and it has been really good for my running. We will see when I run the upcoming 15 mile race.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Maddy said...

I agree with Cory. If you can run 10 miles you can finish a half.

check out www.runningintheusa.com to find one you want to run.

Keeps us posted on the details!

4:09 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

You can soooooooo do a half marathon! Today! The good thing abnout the Worldwide Half Marathon is that they provide training plans. It should be revealed pretty soon! I check the site almost daily (yes, I am obsessed with that race).

However, you have an awesome base built up. You just might want to get a custom training program made. Runner's World does it online! And there are plenty of other sources. Almost any running book has schedules in it. This will be fun! Let me know what your research finds!

4:54 AM  
Blogger Faithful Soles said...

I agree with the other posters. I would even go so far as to say that if you slowed down by a minute or so per mile, you could do 15-18 miles. Find a local running group with good coaches, or an online program that you are comfortable with. Just don't be afraid to tweak the regimine to fit your needs. I have been running for more than 35 years and am constantly adjusting my schedule to improve.

If you get a chance, please visit my running web site, Faithful Soles. I have a categorized and searchable Running Blog Database on there and would appreciate it if you would link your blog to it. I think you will also find some great inspirational stories to read while there.

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home