Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Diet of an Athlete (and then there is mine)

Yesterday, I ran 5 1/2 miles. It took me 62 minutes. I have not run today as of yet.

The Diet of an Athlete...
I have successfully lost weight in the past. On more than one occasion.

With the Adkins Diet, I lost 45 pounds. It was Doctor prescribed. I kept it off for 6 months. Then, I reverted. Bacon and egg breakfasts worked very well for me and I loved them. That doesn't mean that it was good for me.

My current lifestyle (not truly a diet) assisted me in losing 65 pounds this time. It has been a year now since that lost and I have kept it off. I do tend to go up a few pounds and down a few pounds. I changed Doctors to get here. I like the fact that the new Doctor is concerned with more than "Good Numbers" and weight loss. He addresses the entire me.

That is how I found running. I really like to run. It is a deep and satisfying feeling! Although allowed "Free Days" and "Free Meals," I hardly ever take them. Last Saturday was the first day I'd taken off from running in about 8 months. That is why I ran 10 miles on Sunday. It just feels good to run.

My problem now is that I've found I have a "Sweet Tooth" and a "Fat Tooth." Both need satisfaction from time to time. What is a "Fat Tooth?"

WebMD.com is an excellent source for health information. I use it frequently. Recently, they published an article on "Got a Fat Tooth?" You can read it at - http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/got-a-fat-tooth?page=1

A paragraph from the article reads:
"A 2005 study identified a protein, CD36, that acts as a possible "fat sensor" in the tongue (also known as a fatty acid transporter, or FAT). Mice missing the gene for the protein don’t have a craving for fatty foods, compared to mice with the gene.

In people, "Some scientists think that we’re programmed to like fatty foods, others think it’s learned," says Marion Nestle, PhD, MPH, a professor at New York University. No matter, we crave fat. And now we can blame it on a pesky protein receptor on our tongues that may detect and taste the substance. It joins other, well-known, taste sensors for sweet, sour, bitter, and salty."

Whether that is true or not is still under debate. I believe it is true! At least for me. There are suggestions at the end of the article for getting a Fat Fix. I used a lot of them prior to reading the article.

Running is a physical phenomenon. It can allow you to stretch your personal boundaries. I can eat some food that is questionable for anyone to eat. Then I can work it off either on the trail or on the Dreadmill. It is a great physical way to improve other poorer habits!

Still, as we all know inside, "Cheesy Poofs" are not good for you. So, you really shouldn't eat them (too often). There are better, healthier alternatives.

A Side Note -
I would like to thank Susan, Maddy and Cory for their excellent suggestions of getting started toward a race prep schedule. Maddy also sent an excellent web resource for finding races in any area. Thanks, guys!
www.runningintheusa.com

3 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Charlie, you are a wonder!!!!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Cory said...

I believe in the "fat tooth" as well. A constant struggle to keep away from those cheesy poofs as well as anything from a fast food place. You can also try www.active.com to find yourself a race. Might I also suggest you run the Bolder Boulder on May 28th. I am running it this year and am told it is a blast to run.

9:05 PM  
Blogger CewTwo said...

Oh my goodness! The Bolder Boulder! Thanks for your faith in me. Although I have been running for a year and a half, I haven't run an organized event yet. There is a 10K trail run on May 20th that I may participate in and a Denver City Park 5K in the same time frame. I'd like to experience a minor race or two before I attempt the Bolder Boulder or anything of its ilk!

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home