Monday, April 30, 2007

Goodbye to old Friends!

Last week I ran 45.58 miles. In the Tinkoff 1,000 - I have run 711 miles. Today I ran 5.5 miles on the treadmill.

Why the treadmill, you ask?

Goodbye to old Friends!

I have found that foot comfort is pretty tantamount to running. Shoes are ever so important to good running health. I had to give up my dear, old, faithful friends; my Mizuno trail shoes.

Notice the wear that I have established on the old shoes. On the left shoe, the decorative bric-a-brac under the top edge has worn. I obviously run with my feet very close together (wearing against each other). Then the tread on the bottom of the right foot is almost gone under the toe area.

How long does a trail shoe (or any shoe) last? A lot depends on the user. How hard they exercise, how often, type of terrain, etc. The salesperson at the running store said 300 to 400 miles. In that case, I should have replaced the shoes twice this year alone. Seems excessive to me. The best guide would have to be performance. I had noticed the performance failing in the last month.

The buying experience.
I went to a local running store, The Boulder Running Company.
Good, clean stores, knowledgeable salespeople, lots of inventory.
I looked at shoes that would work with my over-pronated feet. I tried on a pair of Mizuno Wave Ascend 2 shoes. They fit and felt like I had been wearing them for a while. I walked about a bit, then headed over to the video gait test. I ran for a bit on a treadmill and then we watched the video. The shoes are doing exactly what I need for them to do. I bought them.

Why run the treadmill today? I wanted to break the new shoes in in a controlled manner. I wore them yesterday after the purchase. Today's run felt a great deal like I was wearing my old shoes. That is a good sign!

2 Comments:

Blogger mrjwhit~ said...

Man, you are eating those miles up! Way to go. I am so impressed with your efforts.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I find shopping for new running shoes to be very, very fun (and I am NOT a shopper).

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home