Friday, May 04, 2007

After 6 months (The Chrysalis Opens)

I ran on the treadmill today. I ran 5.5 miles. It took 62:06 minutes. I burned 904 calories.



After 6 Months
Somehow, I dreaded going back to the Doctor. I don't know if it is the "White Coat" syndrome or just the perceived bother that my mind created. Maybe it was just time to face what I have (or have not) accomplished. It was April 2006, six months since the chrysalis was formed.

I had been diligent. I stuck to the diet. I learned a lot about foods and the proper way to eat. I counted calories both in and out. At my weekly weigh-ins, I was losing 2 1/2 pounds per week.

I was buying a whole new wardrobe. I had to. Belts would not pull tight enough. I could walk out of my old clothes. Everything was down sized. I went from a 2XL shirt to a large. I went from size 42 pants to a 34.

I took my medicines. I took vitamins and the Omega Fatty 3 pills every say without fail. I took the heart regimen aspirin.

I learned about exercise. I learned to love running. I ran in many places. The treadmill, trails, alongside Jeeps on a Jeep trail ride, streets, and in Moab, Utah.

I tracked everything on paper. Heart rate, food consumed, specific parameters of the assigned diet, exercise engaged; all on a daily basis.

This was a day of reckoning. I dreaded it.

I went to the Doctor office. As I weighed in, I learned that I had lost 57 pounds. I went through a cursory examination. They took blood for tests. I was praised and set an appointment for the next week with the Physician's Assistant. I would get the real results then.

The Chrysalis Opens
The results were extremely good. My heart rate was lower on a consistent basis. I was no longer pre-diabetic. My cholesterol and blood fat counts were way down! My cholesterol count was down from 275 to 115.

We reviewed the diet as I was working it. Another appointment was set for October of 2006. I was given some different parameters, but now was the time to settle down and maintain my weight and exercise.

If anyone ever tells you that running cannot make a difference. Look 'em square in the eye and agree with them. The real change comes from within yourself. You have to do what YOU need to do to survive. That is where running makes a difference. When that change is motivated from within you. For me, running did make a difference. Look at the avatar that is my personal picture. It did make a difference.

You are the one empowered to change your life. Now, go do it!

5 Comments:

Blogger Cory said...

Charles, your progress and transformation is nothing short of AWESOME! You are an inspiration.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Maddy said...

How Awesome!

I agree that the real change must come from within.

You have done an incredible job -the transformation is amazing - and you have added YEARS to your life.

If you're not already doing some motivational speaking, you should start!

Wow!

9:10 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Bravo, my friend!!!! My darn cholesterol has risen lately... grrr!

10K today! I will post a race report in several hours... (pre-dawn here)

4:17 AM  
Blogger mrjwhit~ said...

Charles, this story and your progress are simply amazing. You deserve a Huge round of applause, because you've done great.

Drop me a line on how you successfully count calories going in.

4:40 AM  
Blogger nylisa said...

It's people like you that can really motivate others. Great going! I strive to be as diligent as you.

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home