Monday, May 12, 2008

My First 10K...

Do You Write a Blog?
When do you do it? Obviously time is a factor. You write it when you are able. But…

Do you wait until your mood is up? Do you mull over an entry before you ever consider putting pen to paper (so to speak)? Does a blog have to be upbeat?

Do you share your frustrations? Do you talk about not meeting a goal, or do you sweep it under a rug?

I thought about all of that prior to writing this race report.


The Race Report
I woke up Saturday morning expecting rain and wet streets. I got up in plenty of time and looked outside. It looked like it might have rained but the streets were dry! That changed while I made some coffee and started to get some things ready. I looked out a little after the first time and saw wet streets! Oh no, I thought.

I had my gym bag packed and I was ready to go soon after 7:00 AM. It was dry out when we left. It took us 10 minutes to get the park. There were lots of people there already. I went up to the registration table and got my race packet.

We went back to the car to get warm again. As I looked through the goodie bag, we discovered we did not have a camera with us. We packed up and headed for the house. We got back to the start line with 5 minutes to the start.

Waiting For The Start!

The sun had been out and then gone away. I debated wearing my jacket, but decided against it.

We were off. I hadn’t heard the announcement, but when everyone around you starts to move, it is generally a good thing to go along with them. The race had 194 finishers in the 10K. It was a slow start but soon all of us were on the run.

The course was 6+ miles along the DeKoevend park area and the Highline Canal (an old farming and irrigation canal) in the Southern part of Denver and the suburbs. The weather did not improve much during the run, but there were times of sunshine and I was warm enough to not need my jacket.

We ran north on the highline canal for about a mile. My first mile was at a good pace. People were settling in to a same-paced grouping for most of the run.

There are so many styles and efforts in these things and it can be interesting to observe all of that while you run. There are those who pass you going hell-bent for leather. There are the run/walk people that pas you and then you leap frog them. There were a lot of attractive young ladies who could distract a person.

We turned around and headed back toward the park. The highline canal follows the perimeter of the park. At about the 3mile point, I passed my friend, Tom, and Molly, the dog. I told him I was off on my pace and he shouted to hustle. I was able to pick it up a bit.

3 miles into it!

Then I found the hill! At 3.25 miles into the course there was a right hand turn down a hilly street. I picked it up again to make up some time I knew I would lose on the way back up. I ran that hill, but definitely it slowed me down. I lost the younger guy I was drafting after on that hill.

After the hill, the race continued along the highline canal. Another turn around point put us at 1.5 miles from the finish line. It felt uphill all the way to the turn around point, so this is when I figured I could make up some time. I picked it up.

Before I knew it, I could see the parking lot filled with cars. Soon after that, the tents were visible. The sun had come out and it was warming up considerably. I could see the finish line, so I picked up the pace again. I passed 4 people on the way down the rise. I passed the line with arms up! It was over!

Sprint to the Finish!

Soon after, the sun went under again. I wore my jacket again.

It is a community race so the 5K was delayed until the timekeeping equipment could be freed up. That race started off late.

The winds picked up and the skies got dark. I really felt sorry for those participating in the 5K run/walk. It wasn’t pleasant conditions at the end.

As the awards were handed out, the temperature dropped and the wind got brutal. I stayed for the awards, and then ran again, heading for some warmth and a drive for home.

Times – Personal Record!I placed 143 out of 194. My official time was 1:02:59. Tom got the picture above (1:02:53) as I crossed the line. He also ran a stopwatch from actual crossing the start to crossing the finish line, it pegged it as 1:02:41.


And Now?
All in all, it was a good day. I was disappointed and disillusioned. But I was also glad that I went. It gives me a target for my next 10K race.

Right now, I am concentrating on the Colorado Colfax Half-Marathon on the morning of the 18th.


Humor
There is always humor in any situation. This bike was at the park. Notice the clever use of old Colorado License plates used for fenders...

14 Comments:

Blogger Alberto said...

Yeah, now you have that record to beat if you wish! Common! When will the second 10 K be? You want to run faster? If so just change some training and you'll get under 1 h, and even less!!!

2:15 PM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Well, anyone who's been racing for a while can tell you that they don't always meet their goals. I didn't last weekend either. Didn't even get a PR, like you did.

But I think a part of the allure of training and racing is not always getting what you want. It makes you want to do more or make changes so that you have a better chance next time. And I gotta say that running 5Ks and 10Ks is a lot harder to me than 1/2 and full marathons because it requires a much tougher speedwork than I'm used to doing.

Congrats on completing your first 10K, Charlie!

3:17 PM  
Blogger Maddy said...

Charlie,

Congratulations on your first 10K. You have set a benchmark and a PR!

I agree with Shirley that part of the allure is not always getting what you want. I'm sure you will meet your goal next time.

That being said, I think it's okay to feel disappointed too. I have felt that disappointment after races. It makes me work harder the next time.

Well done, my firend!

4:04 PM  
Blogger akshaye said...

Charlie - Congrats on your first 10k! Every first race is a PR, so dont be too disappointed.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

Whatever you did to get your blog written, it seems to have worked... Appreciated your report.

Congratulations on your first 10K, and good luck on your next race.

Thanks your comment.. Enjoying your woodpecker reports.

6:24 PM  
Blogger peter said...

Congrats Charlie, it's always good to get the first race at a distance done. You did an excellent job, and now you have an obvious goal in front of you, breaking an hour. You'll get there on the right course. (Hills are tough in a fast race like a 10K.)

7:52 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Nice bike!

Looking GOOD #37! (that was your number, right?)

I think you did a great job, Charlie. And I love the way you wrote about it, as well. Very insightful.

I am GLAD you went back for the camera. What would a blog/race report be without photos? Seriously!

I am soooooo excited to get to run with you. (in Chi-town, even for a few steps)

9:00 PM  
Blogger Road Warrior said...

That's a good time, Charlie. It gives you a good pace, but for a self-described slowpoke, you're hardly living up to the label!

9:18 PM  
Blogger Chief Wahoo said...

Sounds like a good race - under less than ideal weather conditions.

Congrats on the PR! I for one would be thrilled to run a 10K in 1:02! I am sure your under noe hour goal is within your reach.

Good luck on the 18th!

5:17 AM  
Blogger LIrunner9 said...

Just found your blog and wanted to say HI, I'm newLIrunner9 from Adams "tinkoff" challenge.

Great race considering the conditions were not that great! I agree with everyones posts. You did awesome and set a PR, which you now can focus on breaking. Don't be too disappointed. 10K's are tough, but throw in hills and bad weather, makes it even more difficult. You'll do even better next time around!

Joanne

5:31 AM  
Blogger LIrunner9 said...

oh and I also write a blog. I started my blog back on January 1st and it will take me all the way to the 2009 NYC marathon. I love blogging. I write everything about my training. How I am feeling, how the run went, all the details. The good, the bad and the ugly. I love it, helps me focus and stay accountable, and allows others to see how I am doing. Sometimes I write it right after a run or race, and sometimes I write it a little while later, but always on the same day as the run or race.

I've added your blog to my favorites and will be checking in on you regularly!

Joanne

5:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Stop by the media booth at the Colfax Marathon and say hi!

Liz

3:49 PM  
Blogger Petraruns said...

Charlie - some people plan all sorts of blog posts that never get written ;) ... I think you do a great job!

And as for your disappointing 10K - it's a good time and a PR so it's not all bad news but I've been there. All I can say is that it is part of the romance - the fact that regardless of your training and preparation the race is always an unknown. You just have to surrender to it. And just think - whatever you did was so much better than spending that rainy morning in bed. Every race run is race experience. And it all really helps! On to the next one!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Jade Lady said...

Way to get thru your first 10K race!

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home