Tuesday, April 29, 2008

New in the Arsenal!

Arsenal sounds so bad! And yet, it is true. Especially when I become an Einstein Runner. I need a dependable source of information for tracking my runs!

These items arrived yesterday!



My ChampionChip!
The red faced yellow chip is my ChampionChip I purchased when I registered for the Chicago Marathon. I got it. Hmmm... The Chicago Marathon is becoming very real now!

The Nike+ Sportband
The other? The Nike+ Sportband. All of the benefits of the Nike+ System without the iPod part. I am hoping this will be more reliable.

This is an odd piece of equipment. It did not come with any software. You go to the web to get it.

As you download the file, you can remove the packaging and get the unit ready.
Run the installation software. When finished, insert the USB device into your computer. Let it charge the internal battery for two hours.

I went ahead and used the new chip (sensor). I put it on my left shoe replacing the other chip. < Oh yeah! Thanks Tom! You can have it back now! >

I removed the USB device from the computer and replaced it in the Sportband. I pressed the round button on the face for 3 seconds. When the word, "WALK" flashed on the face, I walked about and it found the shoe chip. I was ready for the run!

It worked well. There is a button under the face that will give you info as you run.

Need to pause? Press the round button once quickly. Ready to go again? Press the round once and quickly again. BTW - You know it is running when there is a line moving from side to side at the bottom of the display.

Press the round button for three seconds again to END your run.

Take the USB Device back out of the Sportband. Put it in a USB slot on your computer. The computer senses the USB Device, reads the information and sends it to the Nike+ website. It gives you a chance to log in and you are reviewing your run!

I will review the device in another couple of weeks. Right now? I like it!

7 Comments:

Blogger mrjwhit~ said...

Thanks for the report. I'd like to have a sports band as a backup. Keep us posted on it's performance.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

WOW! How high tech!

8:20 AM  
Blogger Road Warrior said...

Too very nice surprises, Charlie. With the chip here, you're on your way!

8:36 AM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Cool new toys! Someone mentioned the new Nike+ system w/o the iPod and I was glad to hear Nike was concerned enough about the safety of runners to come up with a tracking system that was safer and accepted at races.

Have fun!!

2:52 PM  
Blogger akshaye said...

cool.. I didnt know they had released a product for that minus the ipod.

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're running the Chicago Marathon. It's my all time favorite and it's nice to run across someone also looking forward to it.

Enjoy the new gadget, running and I'll look forward to following your progress to Chicago.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Zen Runner said...

You'll still like it in a couple of weeks when you figure out how to turn on the Mocha Latte feature. :-)

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home