Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Dewey Bridge

Right now, I feel like I have lost an old friend. It saddens me that I will never see this magnificent structure again.

If you have ever been to Moab Utah and taken scenic highway 128 along the Colorado River, then you have seen it. I'm talking about Dewey Bridge.

The bridge was built in 1915 and finished in 1916. It was a connecting point between the 2 banks of the mighty Colorado River at that point. Located 28 miles East of Moab, it served as a major crossing point connecting Western Colorado to Eastern Utah. It was decommissioned in 1988 when a highway bridge was built nearby.

Tom, Molly and I crossed the bridge by foot on Friday, April 4th. It was always fun to walk on as it would sway with just our footsteps. The bridge was a regular stop for many travellers on Highway 128. It was also a part of the famous "Kokepelli Trail."

Sunday afternoon and evening, it burned out of existence.

Many factors contributed to it, but it seems a 7 year old Grand Junction boy was playing with matches in the river bank brush near the bridge.

By the time firefighter and law enforcement could arrive at the site, the bridge fire was out of control and could not be saved.

I will miss this Historic Landmark Bridge.

8 Comments:

Blogger akshaye said...

Thats a shame.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

How sad. I agree with Akshaye.

But beautiful photographs!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

Oh so sad about the bridge!!
What an amazing thing that the disaster would happen when you were there to see it.
Must take more time to read about Utah and look at your pictures.
Right now I am saying thanks for stopping by.
I'm a little behind.. waiting for my keyboard to dry out.. after tipping a little glass of red wine on it... It seems to be working again. Ho!

3:43 PM  
Blogger peter said...

Bummer! I love running over bridges. At least you have the memory of that one. Ask Sunshine aboout the RR Bridge over the Mississippi that burned a couple of years ago (as different from the highway bridge that fell down).

9:04 PM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Oh ... indeed, that is shame. Hope they will rebuild it soon!

6:04 AM  
Blogger mrjwhit~ said...

That is amazing. Your pictures were great. I hope who ever did that feels deep sense of shame.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Maddy said...

That's really too bad. I'm glad you had one last chance to walk the bridge.

6:23 AM  
Blogger Jade Lady said...

Very sad indeed. At least, it will always live on in your memory.

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home