Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Let's Talk about Marathons...

Hello my friends!

Let's start talking about marathons.

I, or should I say my fictitious friend, is about to commit to a marathon. He is yet to hear from some key family members, but he is ready to commit.

I, or should I say my fictitious friend, is thinking about the Chicago marathon that is going to be held on October 12th this year.

Why Chicago? Didn't they have a miserable showing last year? Why commit to something that may fail again?

The Positives and the Negatives
I, or should I say my fictitious friend, has a few reasons. First of all, I am somewhat familiar with the Chicago area. I spent several summers there whilst growing up. I know the area that the race will start at. Several of you, my friends and fellow bloggers, are also planning on attending. It is extolled as a "Fast and Flat" course. It should be easily completed within the 6 and a half hour time limit.

Those are the positives. Here are the negatives. I am a shy and introverted person. I have always been that way. I will be very ecstatic at meeting you, then quiet down and sit in the corner watching everyone else. It is my nature. I am planning on going alone. I have family in the area and do hope to see them. But I am planning on being there by myself. That is pretty scary to me.

Plans.
I, or should I say my fictitious friend, would need some help from all of you. Again, there are many things I need to consider. I am going to put both feet in and commit. That means that I will register and secure my flights and hotels. I also have to start a new training program.

That is where all of you come into play.

Finally...
I, or should I say my fictitious friend, am weak! I, or should I say my fictitious friend, am not worthy. But I, or should I say my fictitious friend, am going to commit. AND I, or should I say my fictitious friend, need all of the advice and preparation help that I can get.

Can I, or should I say my fictitious friend, count on you?

9 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

You can count on ME!!!!! Yes -- I have discussed with Chasen and I am planning to be in Chicago, at least as a cheerleader and social coordinator!

WAY TO GO!!!!

2:13 PM  
Blogger Road Warrior said...

This fictitious friend sounds like he runs enough miles in a week to easily get into marathon shape. I think Charlie should tell this fictitious friend to go for it.

Your friend won't be sorry!

4:15 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Yee Haw! You can count on me too, er, um your fictitious friend can.

Proud of F.F.!!!!!! and like other, know F.F. can accomplish this!!!!

4:25 PM  
Blogger Petraruns said...

I, for one, will do everything I can to help this fictitious friend - I will help him pick a training program, I will (all being well) train alongside him virtually, I will read his e-mails and respond immediately when he's feeling low, I will tell him that with the mileage he's been running consistently for some time now he is in fine shape to start training, and I will do whatever else it takes to get that fictitious friend to Chicago. Moreover I hereby pledge that I, a well-known motormouth, will respect this fictitious friend's desire to take the time to get to know all these crazy bloggers and will give this fictitious friend the space he needs to get to know everyone and take everything in at his own pace. If I do all that, can you please tell this fictitious friend to join up?

4:26 PM  
Blogger Maddy said...

What Petra said!

Please tell F.F. to register. It is going to be amazing!

4:31 PM  
Blogger peter said...

Last year I stayed in the Hotel Allegro on 171 W. Randolph Street. http://www.allegrochicago.com/ It was pricey but it was within walking distance of the start and it is on the race course at the third mile. If you stay there, I'll leave a bottle of water there with the concierge, just for you when you run by. This will be priceless. But don't drink it all at once, because it will have to last for 23 miles.

Go for it! You'll have a great time and a good race no matter what.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Irish Blue said...

Tell FF we'll be there for him. This is a great community of people. We'll love FF whether he's shy and introverted or a self-proclaimed motormouth like you know who.

Join us on this journey Charlie. We'll get through the ups and downs together. This will be my first marathon too. Between you and I...I'm scared, excited, apprehensive, and a little nauseated.

5:57 PM  
Blogger akshaye said...

I think you should go for it! You've got lot of time. I am thinking about a Fall race also... with everyone going to Chicago it seems a lot more appealing now!

7:11 AM  
Blogger Jade Lady said...

Ok, I already read your previous posts...so congrats on making the commitment! I'm sure you will have a simply fantastic time!

I enjoyed the read! Me and my fictitious friend need to do some serious talking now, after seeing this post (meaing, I need to make some commitments!)

1:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home