Friday, February 29, 2008

Mostly Non-Running Blog Today!

But, I am still sore!

Why? There is a new Wii game console at my house. Why would that make me sore? The Wii game console is an interactive get-off-your butt physical game system.

The reason is mostly because of the Wii remote system. It interacts with a sensor bar placed near the TV. You have to stand or move your body while holding the remote to interact with the game.

The Wii console can interact with your wireless home network. It can provide interactive internet based activities with other Wii users. It also offers Wii Channels like a weather forecast channel and a news channel.

You should make a Mii. The Mii can be made to look very closely to what you look like, a caricature. This is your personage on the Wii.

Now, I don’t have a lot of games for it. The console came with Wii Sports. That includes Tennis, Baseball, Bowling, Golf & Boxing. All of those are really cool. My favorite is bowling followed closely by Golf. Hey, I’m rotten at both, but the purpose is to have fun. Bowling is like being at the lanes. No shoes, no ball and you don't have to rent the lane! But you do get a fairly accurate game to play.

You see the lane when it is your turn. You have to size up your shot then approach the lane, swing the ball in your arm and send it down the lane. It is a lot of fun AND a total time waster! I love it. You will even find yourself performing some body english as the ball heads towards the pins. I have not busted a 200 game as of yet.

First thing I needed to get was a second remote. The additional remote came with Wii Play. It is another set of games that include a shooting gallery, pool, fishing, and some more. I like the shooting gallery and the pool game.

I also got Super Mario Galaxy. In it, you visit a series of galaxies that contain worlds that you need to negotiate. You are after power stars. You have to maneuver through these very small worlds upside down sideways and right side up while collecting goodies and defeating baddies. The physics are interesting and has caused some interesting twisting and turning of my own body while trying to succeed.

I also got Guitar Hero III. I’m not good at that at all. It does make for interesting play (but is probably a little more of an acid or heavy metal rock music then I personally like).

I like the Wii because of the nature of the beast. It is very family and friendly oriented than most games. There are only a handful of first person shooters for the Wii.

My evaluation? A lot of fun. I do recommend it. It may not be as much fun as a good morning run but after the run, it makes for a fun cool down. The High Def graphics it is capable of is 480p. It requires an additional cable for that. I find that the cable it comes with provides an excellent 480i visual experience!

I have a friend, Tom, that swears he threw his shoulder out while playing Tennis, so be careful.

Running?
By the way – I have run 30 miles this week. Tomorrow or Sunday, I will try to take the Jeep out for some snow bashing, but I will take one of those 2 days off from running to have a rest day.

SEE? I said "Mostly Non-Running..."

TTFN!

10 Comments:

Blogger Sunshine said...

About the link.. I'd be honored.

About the tagging.. you just have to think a bit more trivial. . and you can think up all sorts of dumb stuff. And I'm guessing here, but you could probably say some interesting things, too. But you don't have to: that's also part of the deal.

I don't post the rules or tag anybody else.. my choice.

6:11 PM  
Blogger nylisa said...

I love the Wii! My arm was so sore after playing the tennis!

After 30 miles this week, you deserve a weekend off. Have a great weekend!

9:29 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Elijah has a Wii. I love it! I bowled with him on New Year's Eve. And I enjoyed making my Mii.

Enjoy the snow!!!

5:46 AM  
Blogger Petraruns said...

Wow - I like how a non-running week has 30M in it.. ;) do you realise how hard-core you are?

About the Wii - we'll get there i'm sure but with little kids around I'm trying to put off too much of that kind of fun for a while - I make them go outside at the moment..

7:27 AM  
Blogger Road Warrior said...

Oh, I'm a huge wii fan as well. Nothing like bowling for a couple of hours to make your arm sore the next day. Try explaining that to people!

10:09 AM  
Blogger akshaye said...

Oh.. thats awseome! I've always wanted one.. but I think Im better off without it for now!

I checked your post on the lightning storm.. terrible for the people who live there. I've has a strike just close up, a year ago. It took out all my electronics on one line.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

About links.. OK if you are listed on my blog with "Men who run" ?

Have a good week.

8:12 PM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Sounds like fun and good exercise, especially the boxing one. I like the idea of no black eye :-)

Great job with the 30 miles put in this week!

8:51 PM  
Blogger Drusy said...

I've been temped my the Wii... very tempted, for the family, of course ;-)

12:15 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

I'm a huge Wii fan too! AND love Guitar Hero for Wii... Soon we'll need to set up an online challenge for GHIII in addition to all the running challenges... let me know when you are ready and we'll exchange codes....

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home