Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Thanks, Richard!

I was listening to the 14th episode of "The Extra Mile" podcast, when I heard Richard talk passionately about his experience at the Philadelphia Marathon. I listened to his experience and appreciated how he brought a novel approach to his experience.

I asked on "The Extra Mile" podcast if I could get in contact with Richard. Kevin of the "The Extra Mile" and "Kevin Bonks," offered to give Richard my e-mail address. Richard contacted me and we started a discussion.

If you have read my blog, you know that I am asking myself if I should run a marathon. I am not convinced yet, but I AM still exploring the possibility. Richard has helped me to see another aspect of why I SHOULD run a marathon.

Thanks for your help, your advice and your attitude, Richard!

The Blahs?
It seems that I just needed to slow down and appreciate what I have and what I am trying to do. Maybe what I needed was a shoulder to cry on.

One of the things that Richard and I talked about was the camaradery of the running community. You may have never met a person before but immediately find that you have a lot in common. More than that, these are people that share the same excitations and disappointments that you have experienced (or will experience).

I experienced that with a lot of you. Thanks to a lot of you, I got advice on mativating, advice on dressing for the cold weather and advice on just being a runner and enjoying it! Thanks!

So? What have you done?
I ran 25.62 miles last week. They were much easier miles. I took the weekend off completely. I was supposed to go out on Saturday for a Jeep snow wheelin' but most of Colorado found itself in a deep, deep freeze. I did go Sunday. A back country excursion that was relaxing, challenging and beautiful.


Did I run the trail at all? No. The snow was deep and loose. I was able to sit back and enjoy an outside experience without running. It was fun to do just that!

6 Comments:

Blogger peter said...

Colorado has weather I love. The snow is often too deep to run in, but not to be out in. You are indeed blessed to live there. Can't wait for 2/1. After our run I'm going to Parachute, Pagosa Springs, Santa Fe and Louisville (a big circle over several days) to see people dear to me.

6:43 PM  
Blogger akshaye said...

That does look a great trail for the Jeep.

Thats great mileage for the week!

9:01 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

This is a great post -- I loved it all. A) Making a new friend. B) Getting inspired. C) Taking some time off. D) Getting out and doing something else that you love!

Did you hear about Randy from 2g1b having a foot MRI? I e-mailed him about that!

5:51 AM  
Blogger Petraruns said...

It IS a great post. And take your time and give yourself a break. I am so sorry I missed chatting to you in Denver - we will, I promise. Take good care of yourself!

2:05 PM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

I'm so glad to hear some spunk in your "voice" again. 25+ miles is excellent!!

5:05 PM  
Blogger peter said...

Staying at Marriott Denver Tech on S. Syacuse, think that's by you. Want to run 2/1 in morning wherever you want to, show me a nice 4-6 miles. Then it's back to Marriott to change & check out, and off to Parachute to see Aunt and then to Montrose for the night. Doable if weather cooperates. Email is plamberton@yahoo.com

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home