Friday, January 11, 2008

What? He is still blogging?

Last week drove me crazy! Too cold to run outside (excuses) and no treadmill to run inside (more excuses). I felt the fat from my food adhering to my midriff. Yet I finished the week with 17.69 miles. This week I am on target for a 25 mile total.

I've borrowed a Nike+ iPod sensor from a friend that thinks he is getting it back. That means that I can again join challenges. If you know of any that a sturdy, Clydesdale Class runner would be interested in, just let me know!

The New Treadmill
Yep! I got a new treadmill! It is a Vision Fitness T9200 base with a premier console.

This is my third treadmill. My first one I had for 20 some years. The reason that it lasted so long is because I never used it. I knew that I should have, but that would involve effort on the part of the person that I used to be.

The second was a NordicTrack C2200. It lasted for 1 1/2 years; just short of 2100 miles. Not bad, I suppose, but I want a treadmill that will last longer. It worked but I feel it was of poor construction. After all I had changed the belt on the treadmill belt 5 times. Even though it is now gone, I have kept one of the belts to remind me of that hassle.

I went out searching for a treadmill this time wanting quality (OK, well, as much quality as I could afford). I found it. So far I love what this treadmill can do for me (and to me). It is a very quiet machine. So quiet it is hard to beleive it can kick my butt like it does. There is a killer interval program. It is also the first treadmill that works with a heart rate monitor. I am impressed with my heart rate control.

The treadmill does monitor and record statistics for 10 users. I find that handy.

I am still in the admiration stage, but have yet to fall in love with it. It does seem to be a challenge to run on.

Another Doctor Visit...
Things went well. I haven't got the blood test results yet. I have gained 10 pounds through the holidays. The Doctor thinks it is due to my body having adapted to my running. He suggested more cross training - Either strength training (geez I hate that) push ups, sit ups or a combination of all 3. I think that I will wait for Spring and ride the Mountain bike, instead... That and pushing myself away from the dinner table at the appropriate moment...

Other things
Maddy completed The Tinkoff 1,000! I heard about it on Adam Tinkoff's new podcast, Another Runner. Maddy is also running the Disney Marathon this weekend! You can follow her progress by siging up for notifications through her blogspot, Gotta Run!

UPDATE: Maddy completed the Disney half-marathon in 2:16:21! Great time, Maddy! Congratulations! What a runner!!!

It seems that for some areas of the country, a running competition season is beginning in 2008! For everyone that is competing this weekend - Good skill!! Run Fast, Run paced, Run long and taper!

5 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

My treadmill guru,

Congrats on the new machine! And that holiday weight (which I also have and am trying HARD to shed) will come off. And I think you might enjoy some strength training of some sort. I do! Even I have incorporated cross training (officially) into my training, which forces me to do it. Ha! Force!

5:16 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Good to see you back in the blogging groove... was starting to wonder what happened... And cool treadmill! When you've had some time to break it in a bit, you'll have to give us the full report.

As for the strength training... I think Susan is right. I started some strength training a week ago (first time in my life), have done it only 3 times, but find it kind of fun, something different from running...

Cheers!

11:16 PM  
Blogger peter said...

That's a pretty nice looking machine you got there. All those settings! Running is complicated! Maybe this is the year I set foot on treadmills for the first time, At our age, it's time to start thinking about strength training which I have been thinking about lately as it seems to be taking me an extra day to recover from any old run these days.

7:11 AM  
Blogger Maddy said...

Now that Disney is behind me (thanks for the shoutout!) I would like to strength train. It's been several years since I've done it regularly - I loved the results.

Let us know how you like the new treadmill. It looks great. More features than I have on mine... sigh.

5:01 PM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Great looking new mill! Santa looks like he was very nice to you.

One good thing about body weight exercises like push-ups, squats, etc is that lower body weight makes them easier. You also don't need any equipment and can do them even if the weather is nasty, so no excuses :-)

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home