Monday, December 31, 2007

The End of the Year, the End of my Treadmill.

Last week I ran 25.9 miles. This week I have run 6.363 miles. I ran a total of 1,886 miles in 2007. Included in that are 3 half-marathons and a 5K.

You know, I really have to thank each and everyone of you, my friends, for that which I have acheived. Thanks for the encouragement and for the criticism. One is not legitimate without the other.

I don't think that I would have been so inspired if my special friend, Susan, had not inspired me to start this humble blog. Susan writes her blog at I Run For My Life by Susan!

I also have to thank Adam Tinkoff for his inspirational blogs along with "The Tinkoff 1,000" resolution to run 1,000 miles in the calendar year of 2007. Adam has a new blog at http://anotherrunner.com.

And thanks to everyone that provided a personal blog that they shared with me encouraging me to run alongside them in a virtual and real manner!! Just look to the right of this page to see some of the people that really provided me with that inspiration!

Also to those that read my blog and my rambling literary style. This community of people with shared interests grows every day. Oceans and vast distances do not make a difference, either. It is great to be a part of it!


Death of a Treadmill...
I made a fantastic Navy Bean and Ham soup Saturday night. It was very tasty and I lost all self-control. 3 huge bowls and I knew that I would have to run extra in the morning.

I set out to run 5 miles. The first two were tedious and slow, but then I got the inspiration. After all, it was very cold outside, I'd eaten too much the night before, and I had (finally) achieved rhythm in my run! I thought that 5 miles would be great, then 5.55 miles would be better, then 6.5 would top it off.

I hit 6.363 and the treadmill very suddenly stopped beneath me. That can be quite a surprise.

I tried everything to get it back up and running. After all, I was only able to get 2,825 miles on it. The incline motor works fine, but the tread belt motor is not turning. Is it the motor? Is it the circuit board? Who knows? I DO know that I have replaced 5 belts on that motor. It is definitely time to get a new treadmill.

I don't have a lot of time to turn this over. It is winter in Denver, Colorado and most mornings are just too cold to run outside. Plus, I am that rare breed of treadmill junkie.

So, I guess what I need is some opinions, reviews or references to what treadmills that you have used and liked (or , maybe, did not like). Please let me know why.

I am a Clydesdale Class runner at just over 200 pounds. I am also a master (age-wise, that is...)

I am actively seeking a new one. So far, I like a Pace Master (may be too expensive), a Reebok, a Horizon and a NordicTrack.

Treadmill Videos?

Isn't this one everyone's favorite? OK GO, on treadmills...

7 Comments:

Blogger Maddy said...

Nearly 2,000 miles! Awesome! That is something to be proud of for sure!

My only suggestion for a treadmill is to make sure it has a wide belt - I think some of my hip issues stem from my treadmill gait being too close due to the belt width.

I think we can agree that most treadmills end up as towel driers, extra closets etc... but not you - you ran yours to death! That is no small feat! Congratulations on that!

2007 was an incredible year! Cheers to a fantastic 2008!

4:02 PM  
Blogger Petraruns said...

It has been a pleasure and an inspiration to see you running and read about it. Nearly 2000 miles is amazing! Well done.. I can feel that marathon coming this year...

Keep it up and have a fabulous new 2008!

12:26 AM  
Blogger akshaye said...

Wow.. thats some great mileage for the year! have an awesome 2008!

I dont use the treadmill much so sorry I cant help you there.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Hey Charles...I think I found you through nylisa. I love these end of the year posts. Sounds like you have had an amazing year and CONGRATS are in order. Aren't blogging pals the best??

Two things of interest...
1. My husband is a big guy (30 - 40 lbs bigger than you). Our recommendation from an Ironman friend was that the Pace Master proElite could stand the pounding of a bigger guy. We have never been disappointed with it.

2. If you like "virtually" running with blogger friends...have I got a deal for you. I came up with a race in virtual race in December primarily to keep me training after my October Half, but also to share it with blogger friends. We had about 65 people do "8 on the 8th". I think some of your friends may have done it but I don't remember that you did (please forgive me if I am forgetting and you did!) It was so much fun (and I am still struggling with winter training) that I put another on the calendar "9 on the 9th" of February. You are certainly welcome to join in the fun!!!

Sorry for the book length post. Happy New Year!!

1:47 PM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Incredible mileage! I'm sorry to hear about the death of your treadmill, though. But with 5 belt replacements, it sounds like it served you well. Good luck finding another one. I don't have a specific recommendations but think one that is near gym-quality (i.e., one designed for lots of continuous use and heavy people) would probably be best.

7:22 AM  
Blogger peter said...

That was a lotta mileage on that machine. It went almost as far as my '74 Beetle did (NY to Colo and back several times). My trial got cancelled (settlement) but I think I'm going to be in Denver the first week in February tying up loose ends. Get ready to rumble outside at least once!

3:17 PM  
Blogger Lesley Looper said...

LOL, I like that OK GO video too! :) Good luck with treadmill hunting. I use the one at the gym.

All the best for 2008.

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home