Monday, November 05, 2007

Back to it!

The New York Olympic Marathon Trials
Like everyone else I am shocked at the sudden death of Ryan Shay. What a tragedy to his family and the sport. I am still wondering what happened but the immediate autopsy results were inconclusive.

Where Have I been?
Sorry for my absence as of late. Two weeks ago I had a bad stomach thing go on. My stomach felt the need to violently empty itself. There was little or no control while this happened. I suspect Dove chocolate that was not good. I am sorry to be so graphic, but it was during one of those bouts that I did something to my back.

I ended up not running for 6 days. By the time I felt good enough to run, I was still having problems with my back (comes and goes). I've cut my mileage back and will continue so until I feel better.

So for the week of October 21st, I ran 9.10 miles. For the week of October 28th, I ran 20.80 miles. I am getting back to it but I am still dealing with this nagging back pain!

The worst part for me is I will probably not make my goal of 2,000 mile run in 2007!

Just a quick catch up! My glucose levels ended up well into the normal range during my last blood test.

Winter Training
I am just wondering what everyone will be doing to train during the Winter months. I live in Denver, so I am sure that I will do a lot of treadmill running (like I don't already). I am also looking at a Spring half-marathon to set my traing sights for.

I certainly hope that my next post will be more upbeat!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great news on the blood glucose test!!!! Congrats!!!!

Hope you're "back" to normal soon!

Jamie

11:27 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

You should do the Little Rock Half Marathon. Better yet, the Little Rock Marathon.

I'm so glad you're better!!!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Maddy said...

I hope your back is better soon. Maybe it's something a chiropractor, or better yet, massage therapist could help you with.

Good news on the blood glucose too!

Have you checked out www.runningintheusa.com for your spring half marathon?

I'm sure there's something there you'll like!

5:17 PM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Welcome back, Charlie! Sorry to hear about your back and stomach. I too recently had a similar stomach thing -- not fun and no chocolate was involved, I swear!

Hope your back feels better soon. Down here in FL, winter is actually the best time to be running outside. Look forward to hearing what race you will run in the spring.

6:12 PM  
Blogger akshaye said...

Hey.. Glad to hear about the test results! I was waiting for an update my friend..

Take it easy and give that back some time to recover.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Petraruns said...

Give yourself a break Charlie - don't push to get back into it and don't beat yourself up over a randomly chosen target of yearly miles. You're a runner now, you'll stay a runner even if you don't run 2000 miles this year. Long term remember? Echoing Maddy here I suffer from back pain occasionally and found a chiropractor amazingly helpful. That and slow running seemed to loosen me up. Good luck on the road to recovery!

11:24 PM  
Blogger mrjwhit~ said...

I'm afraid of cool weather. So I'll be doing a lot of cross training this winter. My goal is to slim down so I can focus on improving my run time starting in March. We'll see how it works out.

5:51 AM  
Blogger peter said...

Tag Charlie you're it! Five things about you that inquiring people want to know!

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home