Thursday, September 13, 2007

A Medical Poem

I'm getting older, though you may not know.
My Doctor informed me that it is time to go
For a certain medical procedure for older men
So, I got a referral and set the when.

The new Doctor poked and prodded my derriere,
Making this first Doctor visit a little bit strange,
We discussed the need for this routine medical fare,
A date was determined and a prescription arranged.

A clear liquid diet the day before?
Take the prescription and stay near a restroom door?
This might be a procedure that I may deplore
And all because doctors think it wise to explore.

The good news on the day before the task
Only a half day at work did I need to pass,
I got back to the house and drank the first half,
My stomach soon gurgled and I felt the need to pass.

Repeatedly and often I went to that room,
With a regular rhythm not too bad and no gloom,
It ended soon after (boy was I glad)
And I thought to myself that it wasn't so bad.

Again in the morning I arose and did drink,
The self-same solution that started this stink.
A repeat of the night just passed led me to think,
This might not be so bad as I sat on my butt and stared at the sink!

I arrived at the surgery center a little bit queasy,
Hoping, after all this anticipation that it would be easy.
After check-in and signing away my very soul,
I was banded and set to wait patiently, under control.

I waited and waited, what was taking so long?
Maybe with his first patient something had gone wrong.
I looked at the door and thought that maybe I should go.
As I worked up my courage to leave, you know.

Oh No! They called my name!
The time is now. Let's play this game!
I was taken to the back and gave them my stats
I was given a gurney and asked to strip (oh rats!)

I was given the shirt and asked to lay down,
Then she had a needle and started to warm up my arm.
I looked away as she put the needle in
The first time was not charmed, my patience wore thin.

She had to get help to get the IV in good
The second one found it and improved my mood.
I was quite nervous and she helped me calm down,
Then all too soon, I was in the Operating round.

I met the staff as they finished the prep,
The Doctor said Hi, then asked me to turn on my side.
He asked if I was ready. I told him I was
Then they administered the drugs and that was the last I realized!

I was being wheeled out to a recovery room,
Where crackers and soda lightened my gloom.
After a while I became much more aware,
And a friend handed me papers explaining my care.

Diverticulosis and polyps were found there,
Biopsies were taken for analysis and further care.
I survived this procedure! I was actually coping!
I have been through my first colonoscopy!

As they sent me packing through that back door,
They told me they'd see me in just 5 years more!

8 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Charlie, you are dazzlin'!!!!

8:10 PM  
Blogger Petraruns said...

Shakespeare is alive and he's just had colcoscopy! You make me LAUGH!

6:54 AM  
Blogger peter said...

I am cringing, and not at the poetry.

9:48 AM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

This is the funniest thing I've ever heard about that dreadful procedure!

9:37 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

A poem for that procedure, too funny!

7:59 AM  
Blogger Maddy said...

At least you don't have to go through it for another five years.

Thanks for your sense of humor! It's awesome!

That poem should go to Reader's Digest or something!

10:57 AM  
Blogger nylisa said...

That was darn brave... and hilarious! (Not at your discomfort but at the way you described it!)

To answer your question, my long run for this upcoming weekend will be 16-17. I'm getting there!

2:08 PM  
Blogger Irish Blue said...

Charlie, a poem about a colonoscopy? You're killin' me here. lol...

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home