Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Health and Running!

As many of you know, I got into running for health reasons. I wanted to continue to live!

First of All...
I ran 41.50 miles last week. I have run 26.25 this week. I have upgraded my tempo runs to include a faster run time. It seems to be working! I finished my 6.60 miles in 66 minutes! Want more details? Go to my training log located further down on this page. It sure seems to be working.

I don't want to be slowing my fellow bloggers down if I ever get to run with them (like Peter).

Health
My Doctor prescribed running for me. In November of 2005, I was given a script to exercise vigorously for 60 minutes a day. I still exercise to that extent on most days.

I cannot extol the virtues of what that alone has done for me.

To be a runner, though, you have to adopt the lifestyle of a runner. Nutrition comes to mind with that. Eat veggies, fruit, milk, protein and carbs. Your body needs that!

By subscribing to all of that, what did I get? A slimming down. Overall, I've lost 60 pounds. The kicker? I've kept it off! Friends have mentioned that I run enough to qualify as training for a marathon. In a way, I am. I want to continue running for a long time. The rest of my life. Hopefully, an extended life from the previous path that I accepted.

Yesterday, I had surgery. It was supposed to be a routine screening. It was a colonoscopy. Things were found. There were polyps in two areas of my colon. Biopsies were taken. The Doctor is sure that they are benign. He also found Diverticulosis.

What is Diverticulosis? Many people have small pouches in their colons that bulge outward through weak spots, like an inner tube that pokes through weak places in a tire. Each pouch is called a diverticulum. Pouches (plural) are called diverticula. The condition of having diverticula is called diverticulosis. About 10 percent of Americans over the age of 40 have diverticulosis. The condition becomes more common as people age. About half of all people over the age of 60 have diverticulosis. I am 54 years of age.

I am one of those people. Generally, it can be attributable to ingesting a low fiber diet. I can't change what is, and my case is not bad. They are there but at this time it is minor.

Compete! It allows you to train. Training teaches you a lot about success. Success in running is not just getting out there. You have to begin to think of how to run, how to improve, about hydration and nutrition! It can really help you to improve your overall life!

It doesn't matter what kind of competition you sign up for. It doesn't matter (for us middle-of-the-packers) where you place. The individual you are competing against is in your own skin!

Then you race. You can feel the pre-race jitters. Your friends and family are there to support you. There is an atmosphere at a competition that is unequalled anywhere else. You can get tired and feel the gamut of emotions as you run. There are people along the sidelines that "Woot!" for you when you are so drained that they drive you on. You can also experience the excitement as you finish. Then you celebrate with everyone else at the after-race celebrations!

Just enjoy the running, the cross training, the nutrition and all facets of this thing we call running. It is good for you. It can extend your life! Embrace it!

OK, now I am getting off of my soap box.

5 Comments:

Blogger mrjwhit~ said...

Glad to read the other side of your life. Thankfully your surgery went well. Don't know what we'd do without your lively conversations. 1,400 miles this year is impressive. The only thing more is that you've lost 60 lbs. Way to go. Any encouragement I could add pales in comparison to how you probably feel looking in the mirror daily. Keep it up.

4:56 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Charlie,

You are such an exuberant guy. I am so lucky to know you!

5:09 AM  
Blogger peter said...

Glad you had your screening. Hope all is benign. Keep on runnin'.

I hear you on the competition. Any competition will do, as you say, because in running you're competing with your own former times. The times don't lie. If you're slow, then compete slowly. Your finish will be just as excellent, if you put out the effort, as the fast guy's time, if he also makes the effort he is capable of.

I had a friend my age ask me, while she was feeling ennui about her life, when was the last time I ever felt exhilarated. She expected me to have to reach far back for the answer. My answer was quick. It was the last time I finished a marathon, whether it was my slowest or fastest marathon. I had voluntarily committed myself to a task few other people accomplish and completed it. But it could just as well be any race that was well run, or challenge that was completed. Running gives you the venue.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Petraruns said...

What a great soapbox to be standing on! I completely agree with you. Your achievements are pretty remarkable in and of themself - you know I think that! - but what's really impressive is how you enjoy them and what you take from your running. Really inspirational reading and bang on target. Oh - and you are training for a marathon you know.. it'll happen..

5:56 AM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

So nice to hear the healthy changes you've made to your lifestyle. My husband did a similar thing last year when he got into cycling. He's definitely a lot better physically as well as mentally. Keep up the great work!

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home