Friday, August 17, 2007

Observations From A Race

To start this off, let's look at Google Earth maps from my 2 half-marathons. The first one is a representation of my last competition.


The next map is a Google Earth view of the first race plus the second race.


Hey! They overlap at Georgetown! I can't help but think that I should find a half-marathon that goes from Idaho Springs 13.1 miles closer to the city. Haven't been able to find one yet. I suppose that I could run one like it for the Pheddipidations Worldwide Half...

I am sometimes amazed at how people run. I remember running behind one lady for a while whose feet toed out fairly heavily. When I was finally able to pass her I suggested the she get some shoes fitted at a runners store and she would be more comfortable.

The mountain half-marathons are both wonderful and not so wonderful. You get amazing views like Clear Creek running full in its banks just feet from the running surface. You also get to smell automobile exhausts as you run near to Interstate 70.

There was a trail section in both Halves. I liked the first half trail run better than the first (higher in elevation, more scenic, Wonderful mountain forest smells, but right at the start so it was crowded). The second half trail was thinner and lower in elevation and much more level, but there were safety cones placed on hazards (by the time that I ran by them they were all kicked off target or in-the-way generally).

It is funny running a scenic route. The runners all move to one side or the other to enjoy the view as they are presented on either side of the road. I did it, too! But it is fun to think of us as sheep, just following the crowd until we find out why!

Finally, why is the Gatorade that is provided during runs always the yucky tasting original flavor? Also, something in gatorade tends to seal my lips shut at the outside edges. I do think it is necessary for both hydration and for energy, but there are side effects.

It took me much longer to recover this week.. But I ran a 10K this morning that I was fairly happy with (I was able to do some intervals during this run).

Sunday morning early (or at least early for me) I'll run a 5K with Tom at full speed to check conditioning!

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

You smoke him in that 5K.

Ha!

I enjoyed reading about your race comparisons. Yes, we ARE like sheep.

I'd love to run out there one day!

7:42 PM  
Blogger nylisa said...

Haha! At the beginning of my half, we were put into these "corrals". The funny thing is, once one person started moving up a bit, everyone else did too!

It must be nice to be able to run on mountains. I can only imagine the type of scenic passes you experience... But the automobile exhaust, now THAT I don't have to imagine!

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home