Thursday, August 09, 2007

2 Days To Go...

2 days to go.

I just completed my final run prior to the race. I ran 3.1 miles in 33:49 minutes.

I trained differently for this race. The race will start at 8500 feet in altitude and drop to 7500 feet. It will start going around a mountain lake with rises and falls (I talked with a gent yesterday that ran it last year). He said that part would be the most discouraging for the first time runner.

I feel confident. I trained by running a lot of mountain trails at elevation. My city courses had a lot of rises and falls (including steps). My diet has been set to meet the needs of the upcoming race. I really want to beat my previous PR.

I have been serious about meeting my pace for the race. Heaven knows that I have run a lot of miles at the 11:00 pace.

Now is my time to taper. I will concentrate on what I will take with me, on resting, what I will eat and be sure to hydrate.

Tom and I discussed the strategy this morning. I am emphasizing my pace for the race. He reminded me that it is a competition and that I should strive to "Beat the guy next to me." I told him that I am a middle of the pack runner. It is my second competition and I am still getting used to the environment and attitude of the race. I am in it right now to better my PR.

Any other opinions out there for me?

I think that I am ready.

3 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

You are most definitely ready!

I disagree with Tom; I think your goal should be to beat the guy in your body! Ha. I mean beat your previous race and you are a WINNER!

12:50 PM  
Blogger nylisa said...

Woo hoo!

Give yourself 3 goals: one ambitious, one reachable, and one acceptable. This way, if two of those don't work out, you still have one to focus on instead of getting sidetracked into thinking you're missing your goal. It worked for me this past Sunday.

Also, check the race map and pick out visual clues that you can use as mile markers.

Lastly, carbo load, but be careful not to overload!

This is exciting. Good luck!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Ian said...

Just remember that you've completed the training, you've prepared yourself for this race. You're going to do great.

And don't forget to update us and tell us how you did.

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home