Thursday, July 19, 2007

Just Maintaining and Weekend Fun

I am sorry that this blog has been so inactive. I just haven't had much to say.

I am training to run another half-marathon. I believe that I will run the Clear Creek half-marathon on August 11th.

I must admit that I am a little frustrated. My last half-marathon (my only) was somewhat frustrating for me. I really expected to do better than I did. I realize that the half that I chose did have some extenuating circumstances. There was the altitude and the drop in elevation. Still, I think I can do better. I've done runs since that did not deplete me so very much yet was still at height and drop. I don't know. I have changed my training to try and get out to do more mountain trails.

I tried that last weekend! We went and tried a trail that we haven't done before. We took a wrong turn and ended up on an extremely narrow trail.
It is always a challenge for the driver (and in this case, the spotter). We realized at this point that the trail was too narrow and we had better get turned around and make our way back out. Easily said, but not so easily accomplished! Not only were there trees, but there was a pit mine at the side that left little room for the Jeep to navigate forwards. We had to do it backwards. But we got out.

We finally found the correct trail. It is known as Red Elephant Hill. Why? It goes around a hill that is named, Red Elephant Hill. This is a narrow trail with really loose dirt on it. It is known as a one-way uphill trail due to the loose road bed and the narrow nature. There is no place to pass and the rule is that uphill traffic has the right of way. When we went up, there was a trail bike and an ATV coming down. We were able to get them past us, but we had to use our winch to get us back on the trail as the Jeep kept sliding to the passenger side.
As you can see, we did lose a light cover in this escapade.

My plan was to run down the hill. By the time I got to the top, skies were dark and heavy with rain. As I got ready, the downpour began. I didn't run. Of course, by the time we got the Jeep tires aired up, the sun was out again. Bummer!

This is the Google Earth track of the trip.


I've been doing more and more long runs recently. Just seems to feel good!

Let me know your opinions on my half-marathon and whether I am just too sensitive! Thanks everyone!

5 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

You're not too sensitive; you're a gem!

Geez - what a ride.

August 11th - it will be a hot one, but that is life! No different that any other weekend longrun -- so give the second half a shot! I KNOW for a fact that it will be better than your first.

12:07 PM  
Blogger nylisa said...

I think you should be very proud of the fact that you did a half-marathon. It was your first one so there's nothing to be frustrated about. With the second one coming up, it seems you're working on improving, which is great! Happy running! I'm sure you'll do better on the next one!

10:27 AM  
Blogger Maddy said...

One of the great things about running is the competition with yourself. I think it's okay to feel disappointed, but remember, you didn't have a benchmark until you had a half marathon under your belt.

Also, remember races are different than just going out for a run. waiting for the pack to thin out, water stops, etc... It's a different feel.

Now the quest is to improve upon your time. Your PR.

You can do it!

6:57 PM  
Blogger akshaye said...

hey... you did great. the disappointment is part of the experience.. its what makes you want to improve. so just lace up!

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's with bringing a jeep on a trail run? It seem to cause more trouble than any thing else. Leave it at the trailhead.

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home