Friday, June 29, 2007

For My Next Venture into Competition...

I am contemplating my next competition. In the most recent copy of "Runners World" magazine, I saw a half-marathon being held on August 11, 2007. It is a half-marathon being run from Georgetown to Idaho Springs, Colorado. The course is 13.1 miles and drops in elevation from 8,500 feet to 7,500 feet. It supports the Idaho Springs school district.

I like it for a couple of reasons.
1 - A good cause.
2 - An extablished race and course in a mountain environment. There is even a trail portion of the course.
3 - I have my training schedule and have not had time to get too far away from the regimens.
4 - I will be able to say that I have run from the continental divide all the way down to Idaho Springs (1/2 hour or so from Denver).
5 - I will be able to maintain my training better at least through the middle of August!
6 - I am working on my support crew to either run the race, or volunteer to assist at the finish line!
7 - It is lower in elevation and I think I'll be able to run it more efficiently.

Running the race? The latest copy of "Runners World" also has a training schedule for a 13.1 mile race!

Now...
I like the concept of "Running the World." Have you heard of it? You can hear about it on Fdip 103! With the miles I have run this year, along with the recorded miles on my treadmill, I figure I have run almost coast to coast of the United States.

Important...
I forgot to mention that I ran my first half-marathon with a "Pray For Elijah" band. This is a picture of my wrist with the band as I hold my very first competition chip. The bands are in and can be ordered (while they last) through PayPal or Elijah's website on Caring Bridge @ www.caringbridge.org/visit/elijahtalley. You can get details on ordering the bands from there or at www.prayforelijah.com.

I was given the opportunity of wearing this band through Susan (http://www.irunformylife.blogspot.com/). Susan has been a big inspiration to me and I cannot thank her enough for all of her support.

I have ordered additional bands for my entire support crew, including Molly, my Australian Shepard!


Finally...
Gatorade. I just discovered it. I always thought it was just for Jocks. Well, I guess that I am a Jock now. It sped my recovery along from my last half marathon. I also used it to run my 8 miles today. I have never felt so good during a run. I don't know what the rest of you do for training notes, but I note what I ate before the run including the evening before, what is drank/consumed during and how the run felt. I rate the run on how it felt to me. Today was a most excellent run in my opinion.

Oh yeah... Thanks to all of you for your support, as well. You've done wonders for me and I appreciate it!

3 Comments:

Blogger Cory said...

My running partner has run that half. He really enjoyed it. I am sure you will do well.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

MOLLY at least! What a beautiful girl!

It means the world to me that you are wearing the reminder band for Elijah. I will forward your post to his parents. And you just let me know how many more bands you need! I am willing to bet that a smart guy like you can fashion one into dog-wear!

I say go for it with the next half-marathon. And do you have an additional one lined up for the Fdip worldwide half?

5:46 PM  
Blogger Maddy said...

I have a sneaky feeling you are going to start collecting half marathons the way that I do...

w00t w00t!

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home