Monday, June 18, 2007

5 Days To Go!!!

5 days to go. I am breathless in anticipation. I ran about a 10 K today in distance. I'll run 5 tomorrow and 3 on Wednesday. Thursday and Friday are rest days. Saturday morning is the race!

Yesterday was an interesting day. Trail repair is a necessary part of my other sport. Our group worked with the National Forest Service, through a local branch. Instead of the Jeep, I took my 4X4 Ford Ranger. It is a full 4-wheel drive vehicle and suited to the task. We took rocks from one area of the forest and removed them to fill in low areas on other parts of the trail.
The foreground of the picture are the rocks placed into a low area that was eating up vehicles on this trail system. The guys are moving a deadfall log to block a go-around that was made to avoid the hole we filled. We filled two holes like this one on Sunday. We also picked up a lot of trash as we went about the forest.

I felt a twinge in my back as I lifted one rock yesterday. I also dropped one fairly heavy rock on my hand. I cut the tip on one finger doing that, but overall it was a good day and we got a lot done.

Jeeping (or off-roading) can cause a lot of political discussion. There are 10% of the people that engage in our sport that cause problems (just like any other activity). We need to "Stay The Trail" and "Only leave tire tracks and only take photographs". Unfortunately, some people don't have any sense of value or heritage. They will ride anywhere, often tearing up wetlands and cutting unauthorized trails purely for their own enjoyment. Trail repair is important to counteract some of these "Bad Apples" and to influence those who are not aware to be aware.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Maddy said...

I appreciate your dedication to right the wrongs from the bad apples.

By doing so, you are helping preserve the beauty and enjoyment for generations to come!

Thanks for that!

Keep up the good work on the running. Just a few days to go until you reach the magic milestone of 1,000! Yay!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

I always knew you were a good apple! :)

5 days -- wowee zowee!

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home