Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Working with Limitations

I tried wearing the iPod Nano on my arm. It didn't work out for me. Some years ago I had Lasik surgery. I only had the Lasik in my left eye. The Doctor suggested it. My right eye is not too bad so I could use it to see close. With my left eye corrected, I can see far. The technique results in Monovision. Until I put the armband on my upper arm, I was very pleased (misnomer - I am still very pleased).

The armband was too close and I just could not get a focus on the screen. I lowered it to my forearm and it worked great. I may wear it there or get a wrist band for it. I like the apple earbuds but it seems to me that the line cord is shorter than other manufacturers. Are they long enough for any of you that use them?

Maddy - I think it will be a process to make sure the Nike+ iTunes system is calibrated. It is not reading like the forerunner 205 is. Oh well, I want accuracy so I will try to do it again!

Chafing - I have run half-marathon distances 4 times now. It doesn't seem to matter what pair of running shorts I use; my upper, inner thighs chafe. A day of rest does tend to take care of it and I am ready to go again. It is a frustrating thing to endure. I searched some running web forums and saw two solutions to the problem (a lot of people seem to get it). 1 - Get a pair of spandex short tights to reduce chafing through a protective layer of spandex, and 2 - Some sort of a balm to make the skin more slippery.

I beleive that for most people, spandex is not the answer. I read that you have to be careful with seams on the inner leg of the tights. I saw one pair of shorts that had a boxer (longer legged) spandex under garment in the running shorts as opposed to the usual brief. The seams were sewed flat and then sealed to reduce friction. The cost? $60. I have to think about that.

The forums I referenced mentioned vaseline. I don't think I'd use that. Most people that did referred to the minimal endurance (lasting about 20 minutes). Petroleum Jelly is made from petroleum and can stain clothing. The other solution was a product called, "Body Glide." This product is sold in a deodorant type of container for easy application. It is specifically used to reduce chafing where I need it to. Cost $9.

Can you guess which solution I am trying first? I'll leave a message if the Body Glide works for me or not.

FINALLY! My hands sweat as I run. I am again wearing gloves to assist me in controlling the sweat that forms in the webs between my fingers. Yep - The same cotton gardening gloves I use to keep them warm in Winter...

Gee... Looks I'm being needy again!

Thanks for everone's help, though...

6 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

I love my Apple ibuds. They seem plenty long.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

Charles, go with the glide, and lay it on thick, you will not regret it. Also, nike makes a good set of earphones that wrap around the back of your neck. After a bit you don't even notice the earphones and the sound is not too bad.

7:42 PM  
Blogger nylisa said...

body glide is my savior! i've always had a problem with developing blisters until i bought a stick of body glide. it's not as goopy as vaseline but works on everywhere you chafe.

i also personally think the ibuds are a bit too short.

5:28 AM  
Blogger Maddy said...

Body Glide is awesome! You won't be sorry about that $9.

I use Vaseline on the tips of my toes to keep blisters away. It works there - but my socks all look awful.

I don't wear the iPod earbuds. I had a hard time keeping them from slipping out. There are a lot of earphone options out there with a wide price range. $10 - $100 +.

5:44 AM  
Blogger Irish Blue said...

I was just going to order some Body Glide as I'm having the same issues now with the heat. They say it really works. Let me know once you've "field tested" it, will you?

5:49 AM  
Blogger akshaye said...

hmm.. the apple cords work fine for me. haven't tried the + system so cant vouch for its accuracy.
but yes.. body glide is way better than vaseline.

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home