Wednesday, May 23, 2007

What I learned about long runs...

Yesterday, I ran 5 miles. Today, I ran 5 miles. Both days were amazingly easy compared to Monday's run. I even ran intervals today and ended up loving it.

Three Things Today -

1. Why you take a day off after a long run.
Why do I take a day off NOW? Because I found out that your body really needs it! I ran a short distance on Monday. 4.5 miles. I planned on running 5, but just couldn't do it! It was all I could do to run 4.5 miles at the slow pace that I accomplished. The muscular pain I experienced across the back of my upper legs was noticeable.

2. The Runner's Repair Manual
My friend, Tim, suggested this book to me. I read a bit of it and already know some exercises that are strengthening my quadriceps and increasing my comfort level. Topper? They are easy to do. I've read most of the book and have gained some insight to this sport that I have adopted. It is written by Murray F. Weisenfeld. It is an easy read and was worth my while. It is available at Amazon.com if your local library or book store does not carry it.

3. I signed up!
I am officially registered for the Slacker Half-Marathon. Signed up today!

4 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Slackers of the world, unite! :)

8:19 PM  
Blogger Maddy said...

Good lessons to learn.

And Congratulations for taking the half marathon leap.

You're going to do great!

8:21 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

That is an excellent run! Congrats on taking the plunge.

9:52 PM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Sounds like a great run, even for someone who lives at sea level :-)

Have fun!

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home