Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Training

Yesterday, I ran 3.7 miles. Today, I ran 5 miles. Both days I ran on the treadmill in a relaxed manner. I have iced my right leg, knee and ankle the past couple of days. I am feeling right regular now.

Did I stop running? No, it is not in my nature now (and yes, I also know that I probably should have). I have been deep in thought for a couple of days while I have cut back.

Did I give the race my all? I probably did not. I went into the race wanting to observe the process. I also know that I will be a middle of the pack runner. That does not dismay me. After all, my ultimate competitor is myself.

I did like the atmosphere of the race that I attended. Everyone was so friendly and the talk was of running. Whether people were trying to qualify for the Bolder Boulder (very exciting to see those true competitors cross the finish line), or just there to cheer people on, it was a great event to attend.

I am pouring over other races that are being held in my neck of the woods. I am still leaning toward a half-marathon run next time. My long runs are generally on Tuesdays and Thursdays. When I am sure my leg is OK, then I will work at running longer Thursday runs and trying for some interval training on some of the other days. What would be a good time to shoot for a first half-marathon?

Ever run in the mountains? I love Colorado for the absolute beauty that this state of the union offers. The fresh air, the natural beauty, the feeling of freedon as you run among the pine trees, rivers and mountain flower zones. It is a great place for me.

I am also looking at a 10K but I think I want to try a longer distance.

1 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

I say go for the half! The WWH is a whole 5 months away... so maybe a sooner one would be better. I think you should train for 10 weeks or so... give or take...

Are you originally from Colorado?

I have realized that I am a back-of-the-pack runner. In fact, the stats of all races I know of say that I am generally like the third-to-last to finish in my age group. And that is FINE! As you said well, I am competing only with myself!

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home