Monday, May 14, 2007

After The Race...

I ran 34.3 miles last week. Saturday I ran my first 5K race - I placed 54th with a PR of 28:16.37. I have run 784 miles in 2007 towards my goal in my participation in The Tinkoff 1,000.

Saturday was a lot of fun. I will remember it for a long time.

I do have a physical problem.I have a very slight pain in my lower right leg. I first noticed it last Thursday. I described the pain and the location with my friend, Tom. He is sure that I am developing shin splints. The pain is noticeable in the front of my right leg. I think that I compensate for it a bit and am getting side and back pain because of that. I am not happy.

Cause? Unknown. Several things happened at once. I got the new shoes. I also started running outside. My neighborhood has parks all over the place. Unfortunately, they are small parks. So most of my running is on street pavement (asphalt). Tom has watched me run. He doesn't think it is the shoes, but more my style of running. He calls it "Slapping my feet down," instead of placing them correctly.

I am still running. I am using the treadmill. I have made the surface as soft as I can. I am running slowly until I can figure it out. Yes, I am also resting the leg, elevating it and icing it. Bummer... I do owe myself a Doctor appointment (I really want to get off of the cholesterol medicine). AND it is at the half-year interval for more tests. So, I'll go and see him and mention the slight pain that I am experiencing.

I am also looking for a next run to make. I'd like to do a 10K or a half-marathon. There are some trail runs in Littleton and a Slacker Downhill Half-Marathon from the Loveland Ski Area to Georgetown Lake. Both are held in June. I am still debating what to do.

If you have advice, please feel free to offer it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charlie,

Get a copy of The Runner's Repair Manual. It's full of exercises and information about various injuries. The book has been a great source of information and help for me, my wife, and a number of friends at work. Your injury likely came from the change in surface (treadmills are very forgiving), but you can strengthen a few muscles and get yourself back out on the road without too much trouble.

Hope this helps!

Tim

6:36 PM  
Blogger Maddy said...

I'm by no means an expert, but I'm leaning toward the shoes as the cause. I would suggest a trip with the shoes to the running store.

Take it easy, becuase you don't want to make it worse.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Why on earth is a stellar athlete with cholesterol under 200 on meds?

All I can say is - YOU'RE A RUNNER NOW! An injury solidifies your enrollment in the group. I should have mentioned that when I was on my "you must run a race to officially be a runner" soap box.

I'm sorry you are in pain! Definitely get a professional to look at it. THAT particular pain has not yet found me...

10:52 AM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Well, certainly all those things (new/wrong shoes, suddenly running on hard surfaces, poor running form) can cause one to develop shin splints.

Since you say the pain is only very slight, I'd try to isolate the problem, if possible (try running in those shoes on different surfaces, w/o slapping, running in different shoes the way you're used to, on pavement, etc).

Too much too soon (suddenly running faster than you usually do in training or running too much) can also cause it, esp. among new runners.

Hope you're able to figure this out soon. IMHO, a half marathon may be too soon in June if you're having signs of shin splints. Downhill running is very hard on the legs!!!

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home