Monday, June 11, 2007

Getting close now...

I ran 41 ½ miles last week. I ran an equivalent of a half-marathon yesterday in 2 hours, 7 minutes and 35 seconds. I have run 948 miles in 2007. It is twelve days to my first half-marathon race.

I am sore today. I've run several of the full length half-marathon distances, but I always seem to be so sore afterwards. I appreciate the rest day after.

My roommate and best friend, Tom, got me the Nike+ iTunes chip for my shoe this weekend. It is a chip/receiver combination that monitors and records your workouts and races. I calibrated it on Saturday and ran with it on Sunday. It gives you audible cues as you run.

The trouble with the chip was attaching it to the shoe. Nike makes a line of shoes that the chip fits into. Unfortunately, I am not wearing Nike shoes.
The shoe with the chip firmly esconced in velcro.

I checked out the laces on my shoes & the shape of the chip. I had some double-sided Velcro tape and it is now attached to the laces of my left shoe. I took two pieces of velcro and cut them almost in half length-wise, leaving the width or the length of the chip in the middle of the tape. The velcro tapes went under the laces and the chip went on top of the laces. I wrapped the velcro around the laces and over the chip. The velcro effectively locks the chip onto the shoe very firmly. It won’t come off.
The velcro tape installed under the laces and ready for the chip.

The other bad thing? It only works with an iPod Nano. He’d heard me talk about my iPod and assumed I had one. I do, but it is an iPod Shuffle. So, I’ll borrow his for training and the race. I’ll save up to get an iPod Nano.

I like the Nike+iTunes system, but it has some drawbacks. I don't like to wear an armband. The system seems to be geared for that. I got both an armband and a waist clip, but the waist clip is a blind proposition. The next run that I use it, I'll try the armband. Using the waist clip, I turned it off a couple of times and also neglected to turn it back on. I'm sure I can get used to it, though. I really like the idea.

Oh, yeah... Why did Tom really give it to me? He said that I am so Einstein about running that he knew I should have it...

I'm reviewing my training schedule for the next two weeks. I have 2 long runs (8 & 10 miles) for this week. I have two days of bike riding, one day of intervals.

I have no idea as to how to approach the final five days prior to the race. Any advice would be appreciated. Both for training/exercise and for nutrition and hydration.

What is proper race ettiquette for things like wearing iPods or MP3 players? Is it OK to wear them?

Akshaye has tagged me, so my next blog will reflect those 6 weird things that affect me.

The iPod led me to review songs that I like to run to. I'll do a blog soon on songs that I appreciate.

4 Comments:

Blogger Maddy said...

I'm still working on the correct calibration of mine. I love it! I can't wait to get my runs uploaded to the Nike+ site.

Nike makes a line of clothing with iPod Nano pokets built in.

Here's the link: http://www.nike.com/index.jhtml?promoID=usns_em_060607_BalPlus&l=nikestore,men#l=nikestore,grid,_grid,f-10002+12002+26005+4294967095&re=US&co=US&la=EN

3:45 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Wowee! High tech.

I almost always wear my iPod while racing. Go for it. Some races *say* not to wear them, but I firmly believe that it is just for liability. EVERYONE does it.

I believe I have been tagged by Maddy!

4:29 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

You could always try a wrist-based case. I've been using one of these for months now, although mine is the 1G model without support for the Nike+ sensor. I love having the Nano on my wrist.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Greg On the Run said...

Charles-
Good job on getting ready for the half. I finished my first triathlon yesterday - hamstrings are very sore from the bike which I didn't expect.

If you're a gadget guy, check out my runs on my blog. They're recorded with a phone with software from Bones in Motion (bimactive.com). The phone is GPS enabled and the service costs $10/month with Verizon. Plus my phone also has music.

There are some 3rd party companies that make a receptacle for the Nike pod. It ties to your shoelaces. If the velcro solution doesn't workout, it may be an alternative for you.

Good luck in the half.

6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home