Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Training vs. Running for Health

Last week, I ran 44 miles. I ran 13.5 miles yesterday (a long run). My treadmill turned over 2,000 miles during yesterday's run. I have run 870 miles toward my participation in The Tinkoff 1,000.

Training versus Running for Health
Training is a different style of running. I am still not used to it. What I am used to is getting a run in every day. I hadn't taken a day off for quite a while. I took Sunday off because I had a long run scheduled for Monday. I won't run today because of yesterday's long run. I have learned about recuperation time.

I am looking forward to my first half-marathon. I think that I could run it tomorrow. I am looking forward to the scenery and the experience. Only 26 days or so to go...

5 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

26 days! Stellar!

I agree; training is a whole new ballgame. I like the rest days! It makes me feel like I accomplishing something specific. I like that!

11:34 AM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Indeed, it is different! For ~25 years, I just ran for health, having no aspirations to run faster or further, or enter any races.

I love the variety that training gives as well as the rewards, which go way beyond good health, IMO. I also love cross-training (i.e., swimming, cycling, weights, etc).

Stay healthy and keep running :-)

6:03 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

But it plays with your mind taking a day off doesn't it? You sit around thinking you "should" be out there running. That you feel OK and could run maybe a short slow one. But it's just the devil on your shoulder! We KNOW a day off is best! Still a hard devil to beat.

5:58 AM  
Blogger Maddy said...

For the first time in a long time I put the stubborn side of me in time out and am following a structured training program.

It's doing wonders for me. And the rest days are awesome - it really does make the running days that much better.

Keep up the good work!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Irish Blue said...

Sounds like your training is going well. That's awesome that you've already signed up for a half.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home