Monday, June 25, 2007

After a Race, One Should Rest...

It would have been wonderful to rest on Sunday. What you want and what you get may be two different things.

It was a quiet start to the day, then things got busy. We were set to experience a possible record setting hot day. It was determined to spend a great day with Tom's family at Elitches (a local amusement park).

We got to the park as soon as it opened. It was fun to pose for a picture just inside the gate to commemorate our day. The lines were short so we rode a lot of rides.

A picture of me with Tom's neice and nephew.

The kids were not afraid. First ride was "The Flying Coaster!" You lay down in it as it spins you round and round on its track. I went on it once as the kids wanted to ride with me. Then I stood in the hot sun and took pictures of them.
The Flying Car coming in for a landing!

We were able to spend 6 hours at the amusement park. I'm thinking that I drank enough water, but I suspect (now as I write this that I did not).

We went from the amusement park to a western style steak house for dinner. Tom's Brother grew up in Denver and has a large circle of friends here still. A lot of us met at the steak house to reacquaint old ties.

Dinner at the steak house. Is that me in a SpongeBob SquarePants T-shirt?

This steak house has a reputation for cutting off those citified ties (neck ties). So, we made sure that we had one for each of the kids. The waiter waited until our dinner was finished, then invited the kids over and amongst much pomp and circumstance the ties were cut off. Soon after, the house band started up and Tom's niece asked him to dance. Tom tried to fend her off, but he just can't say no to that girl.
Tom and Julia cutting a rug. Mitch and his Mom also danced.

I continued to drink water. Lots of water. Eventually, everything caught up with me, though. Rich food, electrolyte levels down, too much sun, too much activity. Around midnight, I awoke with an urgent need to visit the porcelain pony. There were some stomach spasms and accompanying physical results. I was able to get back to sleep quickly. But repeated it again for two more times and again when I arose for the day.

With relaxation, more water, Gatorade, and some alka seltzer, my system has slowly returned to normal. After my next race, I am going to ensure more rest time. It has to help.

Sunday? Not so restful a rest day. Monday? A regular rest day. Tomorrow? I'll run again!

3 Comments:

Blogger Maddy said...

I'm sorry you were not feeling well.

Rest well. Tomorrow is another day.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Get some rest!

I have been to that steakhouse - Trail Dust? - but in Dallas. Chasen loved going there as a kid! (on trips in from Oklahoma)

3:51 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

I love going to the Traildust Steak House. I still recall when the original one burned to the ground. A half marathon is a long way to run, rest is good for you. Sorry you were not feeling well.

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home