Sunday, June 24, 2007

My First Half-Marathon

The day started early. Really early. I set my alarm for 4:30 AM. I woke at 4:20 and shut it off. I got ready for the day. Tom was ready to go about the same time. Jeff came by at 5:30 and we headed for the mountains. Georgetown is on I-70 West of Denver (about an hour away). We arrived at 6:30 and parked. I checked in and got my bib number 221. We got back into the car and headed further West to this great nation's continental divide.

On the way, both Tom & Jeff were commenting on how far it was from Georgetown and how far I would have to run to get back. It did seem like quite a way to go!

We got to the start line and I discovered that I was suppose to pick up my race chip at registration. I don't know these things. I'm a newbie. The lady I checked in with didn't mention anything about it. I guess that I assumed that they would be given out at the starting line. Race officials arranged to get the chip sent up through a family member.

I wasn't the only one that did not pick up their chip. Later on, an official brought two trays of chips up. It was funny.

This was the start line with 30 seconds to go. What a lot of people! Notice the snow on the continental divide.

When the race start count down started, I was at the back of the pack. Not knowing how this crowd would work out the order, I decided to stay back and see what happened. It was not long before I was able to start running at a pace that I could accept. The first 5 miles was a trail run. It was a doubletrack that was jam filled with people. I was able to keep my starting pace by keeping to the outside.
I am headed to the trail head after the start of the race.

I would see Tom & Jeff at different points during the race. It made it very interesting for me as I'd watch for them and enjoy their friendly chides. One lady running near me, asked if I knew "those two." I told her that they were my friends! She said, "Then the old adage is true! Kep your friends close and your enemies closer." I don't know how true that is, but it made for a fun moment or two! Especially when I told "those two" later on!

I have to admit that I was not prepared for the drop in elevation during the race. By the end of the trail portion, my legs were buring with the downhill running. I slowed my pace to compensate a little. As if the race knew, the first climb happened here. It seemed to go on forever. Everyone around me was slowing down or starting to walk. I tried to keep up the pace by shortening my stride, but it was tough!

The graph (from Sport Tracks software) showing the drop according to my Garnmin Forerunner 205.

Soon enough, I came to the halfway point of the race. I felt renewed vigor and looked forward to the finish line. There were quite a few views of the Colorado countryside. It was a great place to run.

We approached the town of Georgetown. Thinking it was close to done, we had some hairpin curves and steep inclines down into the town. Thinking of 1 1/2 miles to go, I looked forward to it. Unfortunately, the final mile to the finish line was seemingly all uphill. I was surprised when a friend from work, Carlos, showed up a few blocks short of the finish line to run with me to it. He had participated in the 4 mile mile run from earlier in the day. It was a lot of fun to run with someone for the last little bit!
Carlos and I just short of the finish line!

Crossing the Finish Line!

Carlos let me finish the finish line by myself. Then he showed me where to get my goodie bag! Georgetown had booths set up in the town center for additional runner goodies. There were hot dogs, sodas, beer (yep! I had one. Need to replace those carbs, you know!) and other booths!

We stayed for the awards and the drawings. We took off for town soon after. I slept on the way back. When we got to the house I fell asleep soon after.

Today, I am sore.

I had a great time and look forward to doing it again.
- - - - - - - - - -
PS - I love Body Glide now. No chafes anywhere. I did get a blister on my left foot but it is small and not painful. I was surprised when I saw it.
Tom did find a tick on his neck, but it did not get a chance to bite him.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Maddy said...

What a beautiful place! I can't even imagine snow in June - even from a distance...

It was nice of your friend to not only jump in with you, but to back out so you could finish your first half marathon solo.

I'm sure you'll be sore for a few days from all the downhill. Congratulations on finishing well!

2:21 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Wow wow wow! I take back what I said about this course beaing a pleasure. As I was reading your report I was taken back to mile +/- 17-19 of my marathon, which were downhill. They actually were difficult! I remember thinking ahead of time that I'd just fly down that. It was NOT like that!

Now you are a half-marathoner! WOW! Don't ya just love that title? Runner. Charlie Runner!

I absolutely love the beer at the end. You certainly deserved one! (or however many you ended up having)

I'm happy to hear the review of Body Glide. I will begin using that soon! My blister-free 5K was a miracle...

I thought of you as soon as we started driving home from the 5K. I was calculating the time difference and where you might be on the course.

Nice yellow Elijah band!

I am just so proud of you. Excellent work!!!

4:34 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Yay!! Elijah was tickled when I showed him the picture of you running - and wearing your Pray for Elijah bracelet! Thank you SO MUCH for honoring our boy and congratulations!!

5:16 PM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Congrats on completing your first half marathon! Now you know what I mean about downhill running being hard on one's legs (hence why I was more than happy to go so slower than expected during the first 15 miles of the marathon in Ft Collins). Look forward to hearing what you'll be doing next.

6:17 PM  
Blogger mrjwhit~ said...

Excellent story. What a great race report.

I have a question about SportTraks. Why can't I get it to show the map when I'm not in my usual stomping ground? When I went to Athens, GA yesterday the map was just blank. What's up with that?

8:04 PM  
Blogger akshaye said...

congratulations! great race. and what an amazing course. was a huge descent also.
enjoy the beer! and take it easy while you recover from the race.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

Excellent run!! Great job on a pretty difficult race. Downhill can really get to a person. You will be sore and then the pain will go away and you will be looking for your next race.

9:48 PM  
Blogger nylisa said...

Congrats on your first Half! Great race report!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great job charlie!

The course looked beautiful!

11:59 AM  
Blogger CewTwo said...

mrjwhit~ - I sometimes have a problem with Sport Track when the broadband connection is not very strong. It does seem to take a very long time to load on some connections. I often know to reset my DSL connection at home when the map does not show up!

7:08 PM  
Blogger Irish Blue said...

I'm so glad to hear your half went so well and now you are planning another one! Way to go!

Gotta get that Body Glide.

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home