Sunday, July 01, 2007

A Weekend Trail Jeep/Run...

I found Saturday to be a really fun day! Tom and I took the Jeep out for a Jeep trail ride. It was a birthday run for a member of the club (Happy Birthday, FPKites!).
5 vehicles went on this run. We went to Bill Moore lake up above Empire, Colorado.

It was hot (oppressingly hot) in the Queen City of the Plains, so it was a welcome diversion to get out of the city. It is a popular trail to run. Not too challenging, but always fun to run. The weather was mild and enjoyable. We were able to get all of the way up to the lake for the first time this year.

Of course, when we did get there, the mosquitos were overwhelming! We were the only Jeep with insect repellant so we were very popular. Everyone borrowed it time after time. We were all miserable including Molly. She was eating her breakfast at the side of the Jeep while mosquitos were eating her! It was like a cloud over her head.

I went prepared to run the trail back down to the point where we aired down the tires (airing down tires gives more traction).

I wore both the Nike+ iPod system and the Garmin Forerunner 205. I started the iPod right at the start but forgot to start the Garmin immediately. This is the route as seen on Google Earth.

I was surprised when I got home and downloaded the information into Sport Tracks software. There was an elevation increase of 211 feet (all at once, it seemed) and an decrease of 2327 feet. I just didn't feel it. Of course, I did the half-marathon last week and I think my muscles are conditioned now. Amazing these bodies of ours!

The following graph is from the Nike+ sensor. As I said, it was a Birthday run. There was a birthday cake that we shared. We did this about halfway down the trail. I bet you can't guess when/where we stopped to have the party!


It was a great way to spend a Saturday and I though I would share it with all of you!

3 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Lovely!

You're going to have to instruct this dummy as to how to upload my Garmin data to that website!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Maddy said...

What a great way to spend the day! Your two favorite things - Jeeps and Running.

Which Jeep is yours? I used to have a Cherokee Sport (2WD), I loved that vehicle. LOVED it!

The technology we use for our runs is amazing, isn't it?

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello! i love reading your website as it's very informative and light-hearted (:

i'm researching on motivational techniques and would really appreciate it if you can take some time to fill in this survey for me.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=6LdTf7hil2bVW7kwd6idow_3d_3d

please ask your family and friends to help too, if you don't mind! thank you very very much.

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home