Sunday, August 12, 2007

My Second Half-Marathon - Completed!

Did I achieve a new Personal Record? We’ll see soon!

2,053 people finished the race. Of those, 1150 were women and 903 were men. The average time was 2:06:10.

Some pictures:

This is a panorama of the starting line. This picture does not do justice to the scene at the start line. The starting line is way over at the left of the picture.


Crossing the starting line.


Taken two miles into the run. We’ve just completed going into Georgetown then around the lake. The starting line was moved away and packed up while we went around the lake.


Crossing the finish line. You can see the "Pray for Elijah" band on my right wrist.


At the end of the day we watched a rainbow form on the peaks across the valley.

The Race Report:
It is always crisp and cold in the mountains at morning. It was no different this morning. We got to the registration table early. I got my bib number (3711) and my chip. People were everywhere. This was going to be a very busy race.

We watched and prepared for the start. I put the Forerunner 205 on my wrist and hung my Nike+ iPod system around my neck. The race chip was attached to my right shoe. As time passed the area was getting busier and busier with more and more people.

At about 20 minutes prior I decided to make a rest stop. I got in the shortest line that I could find. As I waited, I heard the countdown… “20 minutes” “15 minutes,” “10 minutes,” “9 minutes,” and “8 minutes to go!”

I was at the start of the restroom line. A door in front of me opened, I jumped at my chance. It took me a long time (seemingly) to accomplish my goal. When you are properly hydrated, the chances of a full bladder are assured (especially after waiting for 20 minutes in a 'short' line).

Finally, I was able to head for the start line. I went to the back of the line. Since I left the porta-potty, I had not heard any more announcements. People started moving in front of me. People would start running in place only to find out that they were walking to start out. Space grew between people and I crossed the start line.

It was amazing for me to see. The street in front of me was filled with round, bobbing heads and shoulders. This was for quite a space of time and distance in front of me. I could tell where the first turn was long before I got there. As we entered a residential area you could see the residents out on their porches and balcony watching and waving to us.

We ran the north side of Georgetown then around the west half of Georgetown lake. When we returned to where the starting line was, it was now the 2 mile water station. I grabbed a cup as I ran by.

The race was run on frontage roads to Idaho Springs. The one exception was a trail section between Lawson and Dumont. The roads were not closed but traffic was minimal.

I did fairly well for the first 8 miles or so. I was at or under my 11:00 minute per mile pace. After the fourth mile, I realized that I left my energy gel (Carb-Boom) at my house. Doh! I wasn’t that worried, though. I figured if I drank Gatorade at every water station from then on, I could do it. I passed the next water station at 6 miles and grabbed water. Doh! Doh! Doh!

At between 10 & 11 miles, I felt the energy drain. I bonked. I didn’t stop, but sure felt like it. It became a matter of putting one foot in front of the other. Just west of Idaho Springs there was a “Sportsman’s Club.” There is an outside firing range there. It was an odd thing to hear as you approached. You couldn’t help but wonder what was happening. It would be easy to imagine that you just became a moving target in a penny arcade. Finally, we entered the city of Idaho Springs.

It was a slight climb along a residential street. I slowed down again. One might say it was an uphill climb. Things changed as I crested the hill. I found some energy and was able to speed up. I passed people the next few blocks. We turned a corner and there! The finish line! I gave it what I could and finished the race.

I watched my friend, Tom, in the chute and taking my picture. I walked over to have my chip removed. I walked back to Tom and he handed me a quart of grape Gatorade. Then he pointed me out of the chute. He was there as he had volunteered to remove chips from shoes at the finish.

I walked down into the stadium. It was busy place with lots of runners, family, supporters, and volunteers. I started to feel light headed, so I sat down for a while. I sipped at the Gatorade and just watched the people. I found the T-shirt tent and got my shirt, I also received an energy bar. I started chewing on that. I saw people walking past me with plates full of food. I headed over to that tent!

I got some watermelon, an orange, 2 bananas, some bagel and some cream cheese. I also grabbed some yogurt, as I was sure that Tom would be hungry. I sat on the grass by the stadium bleachers and worked on the wonderful bounty that I was given.

About the time that I had finished and disposed of my trash, Tom was walking toward me. Tom looked like he was hurting. He said that he must have removed 1200 chips from shoes. He said that most of the time, he was standing up then kneeling down. He said that he had re-tied hundred or so shoes. One guy came in and collapsed on Tom. He assisted him over to the emergency care area. Another runner crossed the line and dove to the ground like a batter stealing home. I think it was a great thing for him to volunteer at the finish line like that.

We listened for the prize pulls and some of the awards. It was a fun way to spend a morning. We walked out of town to the Jeep. We started up a forest service for a place to set up the tent. I was going to get some afternoon sleep and then observe the stars that night. Yeah, of course, it ended up raining!

The Personal Record:
Yes, I did set a new PR.
My guntime was 2:31:21.1.
My nettime was 2:28:01.0
My split time was 1:10:52
My overall pace was 11:18

Overall Place 1753

Last half-marathon was 2:33:22.
On the guntime I shaved 2:01
On my nettime I shaved 5+ minutes.

6 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

EXCELLENT! Wow! Way to go!

The photos were beautiful. And you looked fantastic!

YOU hung in there, my friend, and you got a PR out of it. Whoo hoo!

Fabulous race report. So what's next? Worldwide Half?

5:48 AM  
Blogger nylisa said...

That's AWESOME! Congratulations on the PR! This was a great race report!

3:00 PM  
Blogger Ian said...

Congratulations on a new PR.

9:16 AM  
Blogger mrjwhit~ said...

Outstanding pictures. Way to go on shaving off some time.

3:51 AM  
Blogger Cory said...

Way to go to a new PR!!! A real running warrior to stay with it as you felt the energy drain out of you.

5:32 PM  
Blogger jeanne said...

great race and great report! congrats on the PR!

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home