Monday, October 01, 2007

About That Heart Rate Thing

Two Things First
Thanks to Petra, Maddy, Greg and Robert for a challenging Nike+ challenge. It was inspiring, motivating and an all around good thing!

I ran 44.6 miles last week. Hitting some kind of a slump recently. If it continues, I'll share it here later on.

What about this heart rate thing?
One of the first things that I bought as a beginning runner was a Polar heart rate monitor watch. I used it a few times, and worked out all of the pertinent data. If I was still using it, I would have ended up running at 4 miles per hour or so. I quit using it due to frustration. I think that a lot of people have done that or they have found some frustration with them.

It seems that times (hehehe) are changing. The question has become - What is your maximal heart rate? Instead of the "220 minus age," people over 40 (I remember 40) should now use "208 - .7 x age." Even that can produce errors based upon your individual metabolism. It is now suggested that you check your heart rate at the end of a maximal effort and record it. Use the measures as a comparison for subsequent workouts.

Now, that I can work with!

What do you think!

Oh yeah! Mustn't forget... Less than two weeks to the Phedippidations World Wide Half-Marathon!

8 Comments:

Blogger Road Warrior said...

44 miles in a week is a slump? Define a good week then! I'll be curious to get your thoughts on heart rate, etc as that's something that's been missing from my training.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Petraruns said...

I'm with Road Warrior here - slump? And your modesty prevents you from telling the world that you WON the Nike+ challenge, smoking the rest of us marathon runners.. So take a moment to pat yourself on the back - it was great fun to be a part of the challenge and I'll do it again anytime! ANd if you are in a slump - give yourself a bit of a break. You might have been running a bit much... Don't get overtrained.

12:45 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

I honestly don't fret much over my max heart rate. Rarely do I get close to that elusive number!

WAY TO GO on the challenge!!!

P.S. I haven't hear so much as "woof" from Molly lately...

11:28 AM  
Blogger peter said...

I'm not surprised to hear you're smoking people with all the running you're doing and the attention you pay to making your training efficient.

I was in Denver again last week. I didn't get any runs in as I was too busy. I had to stay at the Tech Center South to do my work in the shadow of the State Capitol. The Ace Hardware people were in town taking up all the downtown rooms. Seeing the front range out the window again made me remember why I have always loved Colorado. (My mother was born in Yuma.)

6:27 PM  
Blogger Maddy said...

Congratulations on winning the most miles challenge. I don't think I ever had a chance...

44 miles in a week? That is awesome!

Have you decided what marathon you're going to run?

7:20 PM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Congrats on winning the Nike+ challenge!

I actually don't usually run with a HRM because it causes too many chafing problems for me on runs longer than an hour. I once wore it during a very hot 5K race (my one and only 5K so far) and thought I must have hit my MHR by the end (I was about to collapse and puke). Lo and behold, I read somewhere that it was probably only 95% MHR and later found that many of the tri training programs are based on LT rather than MHR so I didn't have to know my MHR after all!

So be careful if/when you do a test for MHR. It's definitely no fun and can be dangerous for some.

5:40 AM  
Blogger Cory said...

I agree that the HRM is a little frustrating. i run with one, but I also do not fret over the numbers too much except for my long run. Then I eep the numbers where they should be. i have found that I recover from my long run better that way.

8:48 PM  
Blogger akshaye said...

yeah i agree with you. the heart rate numbers can be very variable.

and a 44 mile week is a slump?!

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home