Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Its a shoe in!

Me, Me, Me!
I ran 23.85 miles last week.

Friday, I washed my truck and banged my left elbow into it. All that day it was very painful and did swell up (my elbow not the truck). It was bad again on Saturday. Now, the swelling is going down and there is not much pain. Bummer...

Friday night I felt fine, but after being in bed for a while I felt a lot of lower gastroenteric discomfort. Up several times. I used to have a cast iron stomach, but since the recent stomach thing I have to be really careful. Tends to really throw the run scheduling off. Bummer...

I had a great run today. I ran a tempo run and was actually able to at 8:30 pace for 2 miles. It was a first for for me. I rated today's run at 4.5 out of 5.

Saturday - Ryan Shay Memorial Run
It was a tragic thing during the Olympic Trials in NYC on November 3rd. Ryan Shay fell at the 5.5 mile mark and did not get back up. Please schedule a run on Saturday to honor his memory. Run 5.5 miles if possible. Any length would be would be a wonderful tribute. If you are doing a longer run then run 5.5 miles in his memory.

I first heard about it on Akshaye's blog, then on the most recent Phedippidations podcast.

Such a simple to show solidarity in our running community.


How do you buy shoes?
It is time for shoes again. I have been reading about buying shoes. As I run my recent tempo runs, I am wondering what to buy. I am about 210 pounds. I know that I over pronate. I also run a lot of back-country trails.

I've used all kinds of online shoe estimators. But I still don't know what to buy.

I'd like some ideas. I want to be sure that what I buy will work for me. How do you go out and buy shoes?

Finally
I haven't decided yet on whether to run a marathon yet...

9 Comments:

Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Personally, I think the best way to buy shoes is to go to a running shoe store and get fitted. That is, unless you already know exactly what you want and are able to buy shoes without trying them on first.

I've done the RoadRunnerSports VIP membership thing in the past but I had to keep returning shoes because I couldn't find the right one, which is major a pain. After about 4 different pairs, I finally found one. Then they were discontinued :-(

5:59 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

A) Go to a running store to buy shoes. FOR SURE.

B) Why are two 8:30 miles not enough to earn five out of five stars? Crazy Charlie!!!! :)

C) Feel better soon.

D) Find a marathon and SIGN UP!

6:36 PM  
Blogger Maddy said...

I agree with the others! The best way to get shoes is to get fitted at a running store.

And yes, you should (you will) run a marathon. Spring is a great time to run long.

8:52 PM  
Blogger akshaye said...

Yea.. I would definitely try a specialty running store if you're not so sure on what to get it.

The stomach thing can be tough on you..so hope you feel better!

And thanks for spreading the word on the run.

9:00 PM  
Blogger G said...

I first went to a specialty store to buy my first pair of shoes. But now that I know what to wear, I buy from road runner sports and running warehouse online. They have a perfect fit guarantee. I also bought some tights from them


Thanks for reading my blog, too.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Irish Blue said...

I agree with the experts above...running store.

I also agree with Susan's item B. Two 8:30s, awesome.

6:18 PM  
Blogger peter said...

Go to a running store, then when you find the shoes that are good for you, subsequently buy them on-line.

I went to Fleet Feet in DC for my first pair in 2000. I overpronate and they fitted me for Asic Foundations. Seven models later I'm still with Foundations.

The store in DC is owned by the mayor's parents. I ran into the Mayor Fenty, an avid runner (a 1:05 10-miler), at a race. I told him the boring story of buying my first pair of shoes at his folks' store. As I walked away, like the good pol he is, he called out, I'll tell my parents I saw you! That cracked me up, like they'd remember a customer from seven years ago!

1:25 AM  
Blogger peter said...

You shared a nice story on my blog, thanks. It's so sad yet so neccessary. I was the opposite, present when Dad moved on, not present when Mom joined him (other family members were there). Sigh.

Have a happy Thanksgiving. Had a 6 am run today with the sky lightening and 60 degree temp. Now for some turkey and football. Life is good when it's good, so we're thankful.

5:54 AM  
Blogger akshaye said...

Hi Charles. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving. No posts from you for a while, so just checking in to say hi!

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home