Monday, February 18, 2008

New Shoes, iPod Woes, Jeepin' and What Holiday is This?

I ran 30.82 miles last week. It was a great week to run. No complaints! In point of fact, I have resolved some things!

My New Mizuno Wave Alchemy 7 Shoes!
Well, my shoes started to become a problem. The upper part of my right foot was getting worn against the eyelets of my new shoes. This caused a painful rub that can just spoil a run! I could adjust the lacing to compensate but I thought that I shouldn’t need to on a pair of fairly expensive running shoes! Luckily, the latest copy of Runner’s World had a shoe article in them. I read the article casually. The article was a shoe review, but also covered the parts of a shoe and how everything works together.

Then I looked at my shoes. I saw some problems!

I decided to make sure that the shoes were laced correctly. I wore the shoe laced the way the store did them. Then I noticed that I the laces did not go through the guide on the upper part of the tongue. I re-laced the shoes including lacing through the slot and haven’t had a problem since.
I don’t like the cost of these shoes that need to be replaced regularly. Even though, I can put the shoes on and not have a foot problem, I find it hard to justify the cost. Technology does cost, though. I have read that Mizuno is using a new type of memory foam that is more costly to integrate. The new shoes are extremely comfortable, do correct my obvious over-pronation, but I don’t have to like the cost!

My iPod Nano Does Tick me Off!
The 3rd generation Ipod Nano has a checkered history. For quite a while, it recorded runs in KMH even if you set it for mph. The final total of every run was in miles, but the running display was in miles. It was corrected in a recent update.
I almost never listen to songs as I run (especially in Winter) as I watch the TV in front of the TV.
I am participating in the Adam Tinkoff’s Another Runner 20 mile challenge. It is an iPod Nano+ challenge. It has come to my attention that I am indeed, a middle (of the back of the pack) runner. I can accept that as I already knew that. What is hard to accept is my 3rd Generation iPod Nano.
This is a pretty and very functional little machine. It does do video, music, podcasts and tracks my runs! At least, most of my runs that is. There are some runs that look like it was recorded, but it wasn’t!
Today is a good example. I set everything up in the usual way. I started the iPod when I started my run. It tracked the entire way. After my run today, I stopped the iPod and everything seemed OK. I spent some time working on my log and updating the mileage on my blog page. I did some other work in my home office, then went upstairs to connect the iPod to iTunes. Nothing! I did not show the most recent run at all. The last recorded was my Sunday long run. I reset the iPod and will hope the best for the future.
Anyone know anything about the new-fangled device and why it does that? It has done that for me at least once a month when I use it regularly.

President’s Day
I believe that this holiday is in error. It seems to me that it is an occasion for car dealers to dress up as Abe Lincoln to sell more cars over a 3-day weekend. I believe that the office of President should not be honored unless it is deserved. George Washington and Abraham Lincoln’s birthdays should be honored as they were Presidents that started and re-started this great nation. There were several presidents that were not outstanding as they served. Many had problems or caused problems during their terms (or immediately after).

Jeepin’!
The weather in Denver has been passable this year. Not so in our Rocky Mountains! The state has been inundated with the frosty, white stuff known as snow! I have some favorite trails near the Denver area that have not been passable recently. One rig with 38” tires could not take the hill at the beginning of the Slaughterhouse Gulch trail. He high-centered his rig trying the attempt.

So, time for longer runs on the weekends. I should ramp it up anyway. After all, the running season will be starting up soon enough!

Do I always complain this much?

8 Comments:

Blogger Road Warrior said...

Eh, it's hardly complaining, Charlie.

I'm with you on the iPod. I finally stopped using it to tag mileage and upgraded to a Garmin 205. They were fairly inexpensive (about $160 through Amazon) and it works like a charm.

Good detective work on the shoes, by the way. They cost a lot, but it's better than having pain and not being able to run.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

That easily overlooked little slot .. I'm surprised it doesn't get more press and conversation. It is more important than it looks.
Good luck with the shoes.

7:46 PM  
Blogger akshaye said...

Complain.. Haha! It didn't sound like that to me until I came to the last line of your post.

I use a Garmin that I got off ebay for $70. Serves me well.

I agree with you on the shoes. Its usually easy to tell the difference with the good (expensive) ones - but it hurts spending a $100+ dollars on shoes.

7:53 PM  
Blogger CewTwo said...

The funny thing is that I have a Garmin 205. I use it for both jeepin' and running. But it doesn't work for a treadmill. A pedometer system like the Nike+ system does work in that application. I keep meaning to post a map of my 2007 runs!

BTW - Now is the time to get a great deal on a Garmin 205 or 305 since the new line came out. Although that new line is extremely tempting!

8:21 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

You're not complaining. You're merely stating the facts -- and I love it! :)

9:31 AM  
Blogger Petraruns said...

I agree with Road Warrior - that's not serious complaining at all! You should hear me on bad day. And if you think shoes are expensive there, wait till you get over to Europe - man oh man. I just bought some shoes when I was in the States and now I'm thinking I might need new ones as I pronate more than I thought I did. Aarrgghh...

As for the Nike+ I'm with you. I've had a Polar 625X for years with a footpod - fantastic and very very reliable. But it didn't work with a mac so I thought I should get something snazzier - hence the Nike+. I'm going back to my Polar - it works under trees, in rain, on treadmills - boring but true...

11:49 AM  
Blogger Zen Runner said...

I have both a Garmin 205 and the Nike+. I love the Garmin for the accuracy... but I love the Nike+ more for the lemming like way it pulls me into the distortion field of another great brand like Apple - and I even call it community building! I'm totally brain washed...

2:44 PM  
Blogger mrjwhit~ said...

Charlie,

Summarize the Tinkoff 200 for me.

3:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home