Wednesday, February 13, 2008

And Now...

For something completely different!

(Click on this picture - It is a picture in movement)

NYLisa!
My friend and yours, NYLisa is in a running funk. We all need a break once in a while, but Lisa suffers currently from a lack of motivation. So, I think it would be really nice if everyone that reads this blog – Instead of leaving a comment here – Would, please, leave a comment for our friend instead. Make it an interesting, inspirational, motivational comment full of great wishes and hopes for a great runner! I personally am thinking of leaving her the following to inspire her - "To do is to be - Descartes, To be is to do - Voltaire, Do be do be do - Sinatra."
Lisa ran her first marathon last year. It was the achievement of a five-year plan. This lady rocks at achieving her goals. I was amazed at her ability and follow-through. Go Lisa!


What do you blog about when you really don’t have anything to talk about? I don’t want to amble on, but I will because people are telling me that I don’t blog often enough. So, here goes…

Shoes!
I bought new shoes. They are Mizuno Wave Alchemy 7 shoes. They are alright, but they are expensive. $100. Do the video gait thing when you buy shoes at the store. I tried several shoes. It all settled out to either a pair of Asics or the Mizuno. It was interesting to watch the video between the two pair of stabilizing shoes. The Mizuno shoes really improved the way that I hit the surface with my feet. I am definitely an over pronater. I am trying to figure out how long I have to work to afford this ‘free’ form of exercise now.

Why did I get new shoes? Because this cheap guy used my old Mizuno shoes way too long developing a blister on the top of my 4th toe on the left foot. It can be amazing how physical pain can influence the need to purchase new shoes.

I decided to write about my shoes because of my friend, Greg. Greg is running virtually from Philadelphia to Los Angeles. It is an extremely interesting way to provide focus for training. Read his latest article. “100,000 Calories Burned.” I had to write him about shoes. He told me that the last time he bought shoes; he just bit the bullet and bought 2! Wait, make that 2 pair! What a commitment! What a guy!

An Adam Tinkoff 200 Mile Challenge!
I am participating with Adam Tinkoff in his 200 Mile challenge. If you have a Nike+ iPod System, then you may want to participate also. I always try not to get too competitive, but I fail. As of this morning, I was in 7th place. I really should be way back at the back of the pack, but I see where I am and I think about leaving the office, getting home and running another mile or so. Hmmm… You don’t think that might be part of the purpose of a Nike+ challenge? BTW – There is on person from Japan (Sabuchan) that is really kicking it and putting the rest of us to shame! (Don’t tell Adam, but I hope he can get an interview with him and the other top 3 – win, place and show – in this challenge!)


Vacation Time Coming!


It is about 6 weeks to vacation for me. My tradition is to go to Moab with an Internet Jeeping Group. This will be the 4th year!

I love to run Moab. It is the best time of the year for me. It is being out there in a wonderful place doing what I love to do that is so fun for me!

Running in Moab does have some rules. I am going with my friend Tom. Both he and I will carry FRS radios. Whoever is running at the time (and both of us do – Just not at the same time – Molly does not drive the Jeep well), has to stay near the trail the jeep is on (within 20 feet.). That allows the runner the freedom of the trail, with support for water and nourishment following behind. Believe me, the one running can get way ahead of the Jeeps!

Finally Catching Up…
Last week, I ran 25.55 miles.
The week before, I ran 32.85 miles.
So far this week, I have run 18.22 miles. I plan on running 2 more days with scheduled 5-mile runs, but (Geez) with the challenge, it could be more… I am already planning on going home and running another mile.

Races coming up?
Yes. (More information later)

4 Comments:

Blogger peter said...

That's a lotta good info. (I already commented on nylisa's blog so I can comment on yours). Yes, injuries teach you all you need to know about rotating your shoes out of service. Buying two pair is good when you like the model.

Sounds like a good vacation coming up. Car trips are fun and interesting. :) Running vacations are the best.

None of those darn pix in Wash Park came out, including the Wynken, Blynken & Nod one I wanted to see. Oh well, I forgave the camera.

Next time I come out we'll have to run six miles in Louisville. They got good trails up there through the open spaces between the new developments and on Davidson Mesa.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Thanks for the good info! And I can't wait to hear about the upcoming races! My only one is the Simply Stu Tri -- did you see the post about it at runningmates.blogspot.com?

10:38 AM  
Blogger akshaye said...

6 weeks.. that great! Enjoy your time off.

great post.. full of a lot of decent info. I have been wanting to try getting fitted for shoes. Maybe my next pair.

9:31 AM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Enjoy your vacation. Glad you got new shoes. I usually get a couple when I find a pair that I like because shoe companies often come out with new models every 6 months and the newer ones may or may not fit the same, which is very frustrating. Definitely good to rotate in a second pair of shoes as well if you run, say, over 20-25 miles a week, to allow the pair you used most recently to dry out and the midsole to uncompress fully between runs. The shoes usually last longer doing that and you'll always have a good pair of shoes you can still use if one pair needs to be replaced. I usually replace a pair after it's had 300-400 miles on them.

1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home