Monday, March 17, 2008

On the Road...

I ran 30.1 miles last week. My long run was 12 miles.

Yesterday, I started this week with a 14.5 mile run.

Chicago...

One of my older brothers and his great wife will be going to Chicago (Thanks, Clint and Susan!) I am trying to make it an opportunity for all of my siblings to come and experience it with me. That would be great!

I am planning on getting to Chicago on October 10th and leaving on the 14th. That will give me race time and some family time. We are hoping to go and see the old family stomping grounds (this is an activity that both Clint and I enjoy).

Plans now are to spend enough money to have a good competition experience, but not too much money. I know that many of the friends of this blog are also planning on attending, assisting, coordinating and/or running it.

Where is everybody planning on staying? I've gotten some suggestions but I may not be able to do them. So, I need to get some more ideas.

Right now, it looks like I will be making a reservation at the Best Western - Grant Park. On a map, it looks like it will be close to the start / finish lines. The hotel does not have the greatest of ratings but the location looks good.

Hmmm...

And... Umm, err... I have seen and am familiar with most of the Chicago sites and points of interest! I remember staring out at the Chicago skyline from the observation floor of the Sears Tower and seeing a spider in its web on the outside of the glass. Thanks for all of those great suggestions!

Humble Triathlete!!
Vote for Shirley again! She would be a great addition to the evotri team. Read all about it at her web blog, humble triathlete. Please just send an email to vote@evotri.com with http://HumbleTriathlete.blogspot.com in the subject line. Let's get her a sponsor!

8 Comments:

Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

I often pick convenience (location) over hotel ratings when it comes to race hotels. For me, being able to get to/from the race start/finish is more important. But since you want to meet up with others, perhaps it'd be nice to stay close to where they're staying as well. Good luck finding a place that fits all those things and in your budget (I know some big city hotels are pretty pricey!).

And thanks again for the shout-out, Charlie!!

3:25 PM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

Location.. definitely the important consideration for a motel.
I figure the night before the marathon I'll be too focused on getting ready to notice much about the hotel... and after I run I couldn't care less... just order in some food and let me crawl in bed.
Sounds so exciting. Wish we could be there this year.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Maddy said...

I have yet to make a reservation for a hotel. I want somewhere close, safe and cheap.

I am working through my travel plans now. It's so far away, but it will be here before we know it!

6:18 PM  
Blogger Petraruns said...

If I get out there - and I really am working on making it happen - I will be staying with some friends and I'm not quite sure where they live. Last time I was there I stayed in a nice hotel on the Miracle Mile and that was a fine walk in the morning (in the dark rain / snow) but it was fairly pricy. I'm with Shirley though I would ensure it's somewhat comfortable. Having said that, I barely sleep the night before anyway..

12:16 AM  
Blogger Jade Lady said...

Sounds like it's going to be a great trip in October!

1:43 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

I also have yet to determine lodging. But I'll be somewhere!!!

9:48 AM  
Blogger peter said...

14.5 miles already and the race is 7 months away? You are so there already!

6:58 PM  
Blogger akshaye said...

I'd say all we need is a pub post race. That'll be enough for me!

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home