Tuesday, April 15, 2008

What a Weekend!

So, I am leaving the office on Thursday night around 8:00 PM. I get to a major artery near the office and power to the traffic light goes out. I thought that was odd. I called our office and got through the phone system.

I got home and called our local utility provider. The outage had been reported and I was informed that it would take 4 hours to repair. I waited 4 hours and then called the office. I did not get the voicemail system so I figured the electricity was still out.

I got a call the next morning at 6:30 AM (really early for me). The voicemail would not start and I needed to get in and assess the situation. Up and at 'em!

Hard drive in the voicemail system was lost (failed - became a paperweight). The system would not reboot.

That was the start of a very busy day.

I have constructed a really good vendor's list. I called my telecommunications provider and found out some options. I worked with my people on Executive Row and got authorization for a budget. A little bit of parlaying and a new system was purchased.

Pretty major. Replaced the phone system with a current system that has an integrated voicemail system. It took like six hours to do so. Every user on the system had a new voicemail box by Friday afternoon.

It was a long day but sometimes duty calls and you must attend.

Monday was voicemail training and honing. I had the telecommunications provider come out and fine-tune as well as running some more cabling. It is a very sophisticated system now and should serve us long into the future of the company.

Running? You want to know about Running, Too?
Last week, I ran 29.25 miles (I did get 3.5 miles in on Friday even with all that was going on). Sunday's long run was 11 1/2 miles.

Running The World
I'm participating in a virtual run over at What's a Few Miles Among Friends? A few of us have committed to a weekly group run. We've committed to 100 miles a month. You can read more about this fun project there at the site!

4 Comments:

Blogger Petraruns said...

What? YOu managed a near 30 mile week as well as all that! You incredible man - Chicago is a walk in the park after crises like these..

1:20 PM  
Blogger peter said...

I hate it when work intrudes on running! At least you got 3.5 miles in.

I was in Louisville Thurs. (all hotels downtown were filled) and Friday morning had a great early morning 6-mile run on Davidson Mesa with a friend there before my business in Denver. As the snow flurries started in the afternoon I went to DIA and made it to IAD where my luggage arrived at 2 am. Still, the run in Boulder was worth it. Sounds like you were busy that morning!

5:15 PM  
Blogger akshaye said...

Seriously.. 30 miles with all that. How long are you guys doing the 100 mile challenge for? I am trying to test my knee after a break so maybe next month.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Looks like you sure took care of business!

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home