Monday, April 21, 2008

Planning My Season!

My Season is Soon to Begin!

Running.
Last week I ran 30.85 miles. The long run for last week was 11.5 miles. Yesterday’s long run was 10 miles. I actually ran it outside! It was windy going out and at my back as I came back.

I like the recreation path. Bicycles are the number one venue on the weekends, but traffic was not too heavy yesterday. The Platte River recreational trail has areas for bikes along the entire length, and in most areas it has sidetracks for runners.

I was amused at one point, when a couple of guys passed me on bikes. “How far today?” The first asked me. I answered, “10 miles, its my long run of the week.” “Wow,” the other said, “ I don’t think I could do 5!” “How far have you gone so far?” from the first one. “8,” I replied. “Wow!” said the second one, "Good for you. I really wish I could do that!" And then they were away!

I did feel dry and thirsty when I got back. It is the time of year when restrooms are open, but the drinking fountains are not turned on yet. Now, now, I do carry water, but it only goes so far…

My Season!
Here is what I am looking at for this season (so far).

South Suburban Parks & Recreation – Highline Canal Fun Run.
I ran the 5K last year. I will run either the 5K or the 10K this year. Lots of fun activities afterwards at this fun, local venue. A good starter.
Saturday, May 10, 2008
http://www.sspr.org/

Colorado Colfax Marathon/Half-Marathon
This venue is still in its infancy. I want to run the half-marathon this year. Selfish reason. I want to get a half-marathon medal. They offer medals to all finishers! I want mine!
Sunday, May 18, 2008
http://www.coloradocolfaxmarathon.org/portal/

The Slacker
I ran this race as my first half-marathon. I really enjoyed this race. From high in altitude and elevation to a little less high in altitude and elevation, and one killer hill after the trail section. Unfortunately, I will not run the half-marathon, but I will run the 4 mile race with a friend from work.
Saturday, June 28, 2008
http://www.slackerhalfmarathon.com/

Chicago Marathon
I want to be so ready for this one. This will be my very first full marathon. Since 911, I haven’t flown. The reasons are political, as I deeply believe that anyone willing to give up a right to get security is deserving of neither. But, I now have flight tickets, hotel room, confirmed registration for the race.
I will also be able to count half of the run toward the Phedippidations World-Wide Half-Marathon (to be completed for 10/10 to 10/12 this year).
This race will also mean a lot because of a lot of fellow bloggers that are planning to be there. Maddy, Irish Blue, Susan and some others are among them. That would be so cool to meet these wonderful people and to run a marathon with some of them! How cool is that?
Sunday, October 12, 2008.
http://www.chicagomarathon.com/cms400min/chicago_marathon/

I am faced with working extra now to assist me in the payment of these registrations! I even offered to pay the entry fee for my friend at the Slacker…

‘Nuff for now!

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Happy training, hope to see you at Colfax! The half-marathon will be a great, flat, smooth course this year.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

What fun, interesting plans!!
You were cheered on by bicycle riders!
Looking forward to reading your training and racing reports.

5:07 PM  
Blogger akshaye said...

Busy season! I really really hope to join y'all in Chicago.

Kudos to your beliefs - I couldn't agree more.

9:19 PM  
Blogger mrjwhit~ said...

Thanks for the comments.

You are a real kick in the pants. Your mileage is humbling to say the very least.

Can't wait to see where your adventures take you next.

2:54 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Now THAT is a plan!!!! Looking forward to it (Chicago, that is).

6:53 AM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

How exciting to have those races coming up! Glad you were able to get outdoors for a run. I'm surprised the restrooms are open but fountains are not turned on yet.

Thanks for linking to the bar!!

9:13 AM  
Blogger Jade Lady said...

Wow - sounds like some great races!

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home