Monday, May 05, 2008

Ode to the Long Run!

You know, the long run is an amazing phenomenon! Nothing that I know of is as personal and intimate as it is!


Ode to the Long Run

Here’s to the long run I run every week
It is the path to my performance peak.
Its time spent outside that is making me better
(time outside, of course, is based on the weather)!

At first it’s a matter of getting used to it.
Breathing the air, moving the legs, and feeling fit.
As it’s time alone, it’s also time to think
It becomes automatic, a physical/mental link.

I can listen to music, but not all of the time
I sometimes listen, but it is all sublime.
Left to myself, its my thoughts I explore
Knowing I have lots of time ‘til I make it back to my door.

What do YOU listen to on your long run?
What do you think of? Do you engage yourself mentally for fun?
Or is it more serious, do you solve a personal flaw?
Is your mind on hold, observing the sights of the nature you saw?

Think about it!


Running
Last week, I ran 45.74 miles. It is not that I am a running machine at the cost of everything else. It is actually because I switched the long run last weekend so I could attend a Sunday Jeep trail run (I did not run it, but I did hike 4 miles!)

Just a reminder... I am running a 10K this weekend. I am running my first half-marathon of the year on May 18th. It turns out my sister, Alice, and her daughter, Jessica, will be there to watch and probably laugh ("We didn't know anyone could run a half-marathon that slowly and still finish!") I will get my half-marathon medal!


Long Runs Again?
I thought I would share my paths for my recent weekend long runs. They are both run on the Platte River Recreation Path, both North into Denver territory and South through Englewood and into Littleton. If I were to run them both at the same time it would be a full marathon+! But there is time for that later...

Sunday, April 27th - North in Denver Territory!

Saturday, May 3 - South through Englewood and Littleton.

10 Comments:

Blogger Road Warrior said...

This is excellent, Charlie. You really have the training down and you've been putting in some unbelievable mileage. Stay strong and you won't have any problem with the marathon!

3:30 PM  
Blogger Maddy said...

You ARE a running machine!

Have a great 10K next weekend! Is this your first 10K?

When does your Chicago Training start?

7:45 PM  
Blogger akshaye said...

Charlie.. that was amazing! I enjoyed it.

Great mileage for the week too. You are rocking those runs!

9:10 PM  
Blogger CewTwo said...

This is my 1st 10K. My Chicago training starts the week of June 8th.

Getting ready for the season!!!

8:25 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Great ode, kind sir!

Good luck this weekend. And show that sister and niece what it's all about!

12:10 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Hey -- you're about to PR!!!

12:11 PM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

Good to see you are finally not giving snow reports!

7:08 PM  
Blogger Petraruns said...

Hey Charlie - sorry for dropping off the radar for so long - I've been out and about (California, with Maritza and Jen, more info to follow) and just struggling to stay on top and get back into it. But I am, I'm in and I'm going to see you in Chicago.. Though with your mileage you'll be whupping me - I won't see you at all! Well done and hope you'll have me back on your fanbook!

2:05 PM  
Blogger peter said...

Charlie, that poem is excellent. It's nice to come back from a run and sit down and compose.

Good luck in your 10K. PR coming up! My first 10K, I had never run more than five miles at any one time. The last 1.2 miles was virgin territory. But I got into a pace and pretty much ran with the same people around me the whole race. I felt I got to know them. I hit the finish at 50:01. That meant I had to do another 10K in order to break 50 minutes. The start of a runner's compulsion. (Break 50 minutes. Break five hours in a marathon. Break 2 hours in a half. Break 40 minutes for five miles. Break 30 minutes etc... Oh, it never ends.)

3:02 PM  
Blogger Jade Lady said...

It sounds like you've got that great base for your upcoming marathon. I only wish I could have such a base. I am struggling to get to 10 miles myself.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home