Thursday, May 01, 2008

Snowing Again!

Today is May 1st. It is snowing in the Denver area again. Weather is so much fun this time of year.

Now... Just so you know... I don't have to complain about the weather (there are lots of other things that I could complain about - with or without reason), it is just so much fun to complain about the weather!

Running
I have run 30.05 miles this week. I generally set my training week on a Sunday to Saturday basis. I usually run 30 or so miles a week. I like to do physical runs 6 days a week. This week will change that.

I have a Jeep trail scheduled for Sunday morning. I won't be able to do my usual long run on Sunday. As I have completed my 30 miles already for this week, I was going to take tomorrow as a day of rest (I may run a mile or two to calibrate the Nike+ Sportband). Saturday, I would run 12 miles as my long run for the week (probably on the DREADmill due to the weather). I would take Sunday off and run the additional miles for next week from Monday to Friday. One should be flexible in training.

Nike+ Sportband
I like it. I have calibrated it twice now. The first one was for a base calibration (as I had found out it was recording less than I was running). I didn't do a good job on the calibration, as the next run recorded as longer than I ran and at a much faster pace than I actually ran.
So I reset the unit. Today I ran on the treadmill at a 10:00 pace. I calibrated the USB device using the software again (the treadmill reported 3.55 and the Nike+ system reported 3.33).
I plan on a short (mile or 2) run tomorrow to see if it is closer in the calibration.

1 other observation. The laptop that I use has both Vista Basic and Windows XP Pro on it. I did not like the Nike+ Utility software on the Vista side, but it seems to work great on the WinXP side. Just an observation for those of you interested in the Sportband.

Runner+
Adam talked of a website that I had not heard of before. I went to try it out. I like the website and will use it in the future. It is an additional website to the others that I use. What does that mean?
The website accepts direct additions (runs, data, information) from several devices, but I am using it for Nike+ information. I can sync to Nike+ and then have Runner+ sync to the Nike site.
Runner+ looks like a great social site and I think it will be very popular in the future!
You can even find an ANOTHER RUNNER challenge there!
Check it out at http://www.runnerplus.com/

Let me know what you think of it!

Finally
South Suburban Parks & Recreation - Highline Canal Run
I am running in a 10K on Saturday, May 10. I ran the 5K last year (as my first official competition) mostly due to all of you, my friends and fellow bloggers encouraging me to go and do it! It was a lot of fun last and I look forward to it in less than 9 days! Of course, In addition to the 10K I will have to run to my house from the competition to get my long run of 12+ miles in for the week. That will be my last long run prior to the...

Colorado Colfax Half-Marathon
On Sunday, May 18th, I will be running the Colorado Colfax Half-Marathon. It will be my first Half-marathon of 2008 and my 4th total half-marathon!

7 Comments:

Blogger peter said...

Colorado Colfax HM. Gotta be straight, flat, long. See six and a half miles of plains on the way out and six and a half miles of Rockies on the way back, or vice-versa. Do they shut off traffic, or do you have to run in that busy mix of moving and parked cars?

4:08 PM  
Blogger CewTwo said...

You are perceptive, Peter! The half-marathon will go East on Colfax (runners restricted to the North curb lane of west bound Colfax) to Aurora with the turn around point at Anschutz Fitzsimmons. The return route is 17th Street back to Denver's City Park (runners restricted to the North most West bound lane).

As for me, you know what a tortuga I am... I just have to follow the guy in front of me as I try to get around him (only to find out that he has a shell, as well).

So neither Colfax or 17th will be closed to traffic! It's a mix!

5:34 PM  
Blogger Maddy said...

Crazy that it's snowing!

I would advise against calibrating Nike+ on the treadmill.

I don't know about your iPod module, but mine has always shorted me about .10 mile for each mile when I'm on the treadmill.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Alberto said...

Hey! Thanks for dropping by in my blog! I had already been looking at your running records and considering you as a pacemaker - I will indeed try to keep up with your pace in the tinkoff 222+ (even if it will be very hard for me!!!). Keep it up! Have fun with the race! Ciao!

6:09 PM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Crazy to hear about snow in May! Sounds like you're not having any problems getting your miles in, though. I saw that Colfax marathon a couple years ago and decided that straight course is way too boring for me so I chose the one in Fort Collins. But a half would be reasonable.

Good luck on both your upcoming races!!

6:54 PM  
Blogger akshaye said...

good luck on the upcoming half!

9:26 PM  
Blogger Irish Blue said...

Sounds like you've been busy. Good luck with your upcoming races.

Snow in May? Ughhh...I would definitely complain!!

5:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home