Wednesday, July 02, 2008

The News

I was perusing the web today and found this interesting article. Thank goodness for people like Mr. Bradley who didn't think about it, but just helped a runner/jogger in need.

Rockford Park worker helps save man's life
By RICARDO LOPEZ • The News Journal • July 2, 2008

A few minutes after talking with a visitor to Rockford Park in Wilmington, a state worker saw him collapse outside the restrooms Tuesday morning.

Jim Bradley, 55 of Claymont, first thought the man was having a seizure or had fallen and hit his head.

But then he checked the man's pulse.

It wasn't there.

"I started doing chest compressions and tried to clear his airway," Bradley, a state park employee, said. "I hollered at my supervisor to call 911."

New Castle County paramedics received the call at 7:49 a.m.

Paramedics arrived and found Bradley doing CPR on the man, who appeared to be having a heart attack, said Sgt. Kelli Starr-Leach, a paramedics spokeswoman. Wilmington Fire Department and the new Vanguard Health Care ambulance service also responded.

Paramedics used a defibrillator to successfully revive the man, who was taken to St. Francis Hospital in critical condition, Starr-Leach said.

"Were it not for first responders, the outcome would have certainly been worse," Starr-Leach said.

Bradley and his supervisor, Dave Jones, were doing maintenance work in the park restroom near the Rockford Tower when the incident happened. Bradley said he assumed the victim was middle-aged and a jogger because he was dressed in shorts, a T-shirt and sneakers.

"I had talked to him about about two minutes before he collapsed," Bradley said.

"He was waiting to use the restroom but someone else was already in there. He seemed very coherent about himself," he said.

Bradley said he performed CPR for about 10 minutes while he waited for paramedics to arrive. He said he learned CPR five or six years ago, but never had to perform it before.

"While doing chest compressions, I heard him start breathing again. I checked his airway, made sure it was clean and clear," he said. "Then he lost his pulse again, and I started compressions again."

St. Francis Hospital did not disclose the victim's identity or condition due to patient privacy laws.

"I'm very concerned about the man," Bradley said. "This whole thing shook me up pretty bad, but I feel in my heart that I did everything right."
- - - - - - - - - -
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080702/NEWS/807020355
- - - - - - - - - -
I would like to thank you, Mr. Bradley! I would also like to thank the paramedics and those handling the 911 communications. I sure hope someone like Mr. Bradley is nearby should I ever need it on a morning run!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great story. I hope if I was ever placed in the same situation that I would be able to react as quickly and not nerve out.

5:55 AM  
Blogger akshaye said...

Great story..thanks!

3:38 PM  
Blogger peter said...

Thanks for the story. Nice that it had a good outcome. As training director for my running club, I have asked all volunteer coaches to take CPR, which the club will pay for. I myself took it six weeks ago, and had occasion to use it already (tragically, unsuccessfully).

5:08 AM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

It is too long since Sweet Pea and I took CPR.. In fact all 3 of us ought to do a refresher course. .. a good reminder!

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home