Tuesday, June 10, 2008

IT (tagged)

Here are my responses!

1. How would you describe your running 10 years ago?
My running 10 years ago would have been a dash to the car during a rain storm.

2. What is your best and worst run/race experience?
Best running experience – My first half-marathon (2007). I chose a smaller venue held high in the Colorado Rockies. The slacker race is held annually and drops 2,000 feet in elevation. I didn’t know that people could run that far! It seemed to take forever (as I am a turtle).. It was a run I was prepared for. Hydrated, Energized, mostly prepared. Trail, road and some mystery surfaces. Great fun in bright sun and at altitude. A friend met me near the finish line and ran me in to it.
Worst running experience – My 1st 10K competition. I should have done better! I’m still analyzing it so I can’t offer as to why.
I do prefer the longer distances, though.

3. Why do you run?
It started out for health reasons. I was fat and lazy. I was comfortable in a sit down office type job. I do volunteer with several firms to give my opinion to poll services.
During one of these, a Cardiologist was setting up a test group. I qualified as I have had high blood pressure for many years, but chose not to do anything about it. Further tests disqualified me, but I did find out that I have MVP (Mitral Valve Prolapse).
My family and friends on hearing of the Doctor’s remarks to me, and witnessing my lack of care for myself, almost forced me to change Doctors. My new Doctor took a more hands-on approach to getting healthy. He assigned a diet and suggested running. I still see the same Doctor (twice a year minimally).

4. What is the best or worst piece of advice you've been given about running?
You know, I’m still new to this avocation. Every piece of advice is examined. I may or may not agree with it but I believe it is all meant to be positive and productive. If, when, I get what I consider to be a bit of bad advice I will let everyone know (after considering the source). Most of our friends and fellow bloggers really do give advice based on their personal knowledge and experience. How can it be bad?

5. Tell us something surprising about yourself that not many people would know.
Jim Henson, of the Muppet Factory, died of organ failure in May of 1990. The cause was a virulent form of pneumonia.
Soon after that, I found myself with similar symptoms. This was a deceptive sickness. I really felt OK, but somewhat rundown. Even went to a Doctor and was told it was a cold. 24 hours later I was in a fight for my life.
I went to an emergency room. I could barely stay conscious. I drifted in and out. I remember waking up in a hospital room. My temperature for the next 5 – 6 days hovered at 105 and above. My bed had a mattress that had ice cold water pumped through it. Nothing was working to reduce the fever. They even used experimental drugs.
I remember one night when a loved one was at my bed. I had just woken up. I looked at them. They had such a serious look on their face. Somehow, I knew, that they had been told that I was dying.
I’m just glad that they didn’t tell me. I had no plans on leaving at that time. I didn’t die. In fact, that was the turn around. 2 days later they removed that mattress.
I was in that hospital room for 15 days. There were lots of complications (including deep vein thrombosis and 4 associated blood clots). I had lung concerns and soon after leaving the hospital, my hair all fell out. My teeth will never be as white as they once were due to the high fever. There were other complications. But none of that matters. I survived!

So, those are my 5 Q&As.


Now, here are the rules…
'IT' GUYS AND GALS: Here's what you're supposed to do:
1. Copy the rules (or your version of them), and the set of questions onto your blog post, provide your own answers, and then tag 5 new people.
2. Be sure that everyone tagged knows they have been invited to play, go to their blogs and leave them a special comment letting them know, and refer them to your blog for details.
3. Once they've answered the questions on their own blog, they should come back to yours to tell you.

I followed part 1 & 3, but just cannot make out number 2…

I do have to admit that it was fun to answer.

11 Comments:

Blogger Sunshine said...

What a journey to where you are now! Isn't it great to be alive and running!

8:07 PM  
Blogger rdn5cents said...

Charlie, Very neat! I'm so glad you pulled through! And I'll bet your SOO much better for it. I hold so much respect for you and what you do! By the way, I started my training on Memorial Day. It's going great! I need to stop neglecting my blog.

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love reading these memes as there's always something I find out that I didn't know before. But I guess that was the point of the last question. Whew, what a story. Glad you made it through!!!

9:15 PM  
Blogger Jade Lady said...

Wow..that last story was a kicker! Thanks for sharing all your answers with us.

6:04 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Wow, what a story! I too am very glad you made it through safe and sound.

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you pulled through and are with us today! What a story.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

Nice post! Great attitude on #4!

12:14 PM  
Blogger CewTwo said...

Friends that knew about this still look at me every so often and say, "Put the banana in the microwave for 10 seconds!"

Which is what they say that I said during that period of time. They said it was so funny coming in and talking gibberish with me. I just hope that someday soon, I do come to my true senses.

BTW - More important than anything else that happened to me during that period... I smoked my last cigarette on the way to that emergency room. I haven't had one since. That was the occasion that assisted me in giving up cigarettes!

Now one might say, I gave up cigarettes and gained weight. That is probably true. I chose not to do a thing about it. So, maybe I didn't learn as much as I could have because of that thing that happened!

3:30 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Holy cow, Charlie! What a close call! We are all QUITE lucky to have you.

4:04 PM  
Blogger akshaye said...

Wow Charlie.. that was close.

And your weight loss and taking control of your health is an inspiration to me always!

3:32 PM  
Blogger LIrunner9 said...

Wow, what a story. So glad you made it through and are with us today!!

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home